General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

War of the Worlds

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

John

John Report 7 May 2004 22:44

Please put my mind at rest. Did Orson Welles write it or did it really happen?!

*ღ*Dee in Bexleyheath*ღ*

*ღ*Dee in Bexleyheath*ღ* Report 7 May 2004 22:51

Errrr.... wasn't it H.G. Wells??? Dee X

John

John Report 7 May 2004 22:54

Silly me Dierdre! It was HG, O did the radio "play". Or was it a live broadcast of what was going on somewhere in the world.......

JackyJ1593

JackyJ1593 Report 7 May 2004 22:58

It was a radio play and when heard by many they thought it was real and started to panic. (In the USA) Reminds me a bit of when I was in Whitby and a girl asked at the enquiry desk of the Abbey " Where is Dracula's Grave please". Her boyfriend got her to ask. Jacky:-)

lou from leicestershire

lou from leicestershire Report 7 May 2004 22:59

i thought it really happened......

PennyDainty

PennyDainty Report 7 May 2004 23:00

John i remember my Dad telling us that people actually beleived that the broadcasted radio play was real and commited suicide and had heart attacks! It was about Martian invasion..wasn't it?

Len of the Chilterns

Len of the Chilterns Report 7 May 2004 23:05

H.G.Wells wrote the book, Orson Wells made the film. Took a girl to see the film; went on my motorbike. On the way home, she seemed to be leaning back (which does not help the balance) so I put a long arm round to encourage her to sit a bit closer. She let out a yell and tried to sit on my shoulders - thought the aliens had got her. Len

Kath

Kath Report 8 May 2004 02:51

Will we ever know the real answer????????????????????LOL

karenandjim

karenandjim Report 9 May 2004 16:23

Jeff Wayne told it well in the musical version