General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

good day out makes life today look easy!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sandra

Sandra Report 8 May 2004 20:34

Just had a day out at The Black Country Living Museum, had a trip down a coal mine bit scary but realy brings home what a hard life it was. Lots of houses to look in 12 to 17 kids in a cupboard or so it looked. A working Pub! shops as they were latest is 1930 only trouble was I recognised things no I wasnt born then but a wee bit later (1944) it was fasinating seeing what my ancestors lived like they even have an old fashioned Fish & Chip shop no good for me as I am a vedgetarian and they were cooked old fashioned way in animal fat but my friends told me they were delicious. take a trip to the past good fun Sandra

Angela

Angela Report 8 May 2004 21:06

We had a day out today too and I agree! Hubby's birthday was yesterday but he had to work so we had a treat today. Drove down to the Kent coast with picnic hamper. Breakfasted on the white cliffs at Dover watching the boats go in and out (raining), went on to Deal and walked along the seafront looking at the old buildings and trying to imagine what the place was like when they were built (drizzling). Then we had a picnic lunch and (damp) walk at Samphire Hoe, a nature reserve built out of the stuff they dug out when drilling the channel tunnel. I don't have any relatives in this specific area but have always been very interested at what my Kent ancestors must have thought about reading in their papers about very early attempts to build a tunnel to France, thwarted by Government concerns about a French invasion. My ancestors from all accounts lived in constant fear that they were going to be attacked from France. And many suffered due to bombings over Kent in the world wars. A great day though the kids were disappointed not to see the adders that were mentioned on the warning signs at Samphire Hoe. Angela

Sandra

Sandra Report 8 May 2004 21:11

We had a lesson in the schoolhouse he made all the ladies with nailpolish on stand at front called them Jezabels and made them recite the alphabet backwards or be caned proved hilarious, I had gone to museum with a party of primary school teachers (i was pretending ). must try the Beamish next sandra

Sandra

Sandra Report 9 May 2004 13:32

Yes address is The Black Country Living Museum Tipton Road. Dudley West Midlands DY1 4SQ They have a web site www(.)bclm(.)co(.)uk without the brackets sandra