General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Looking For Mary May's House

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

bridan

bridan Report 9 May 2004 20:59

My husband and I (Gosh, I sound like the Queen) left the records office in Stafford and stepped out into the bright sunshine. Clutched in my grubby little hand was Mary and Ingram’s marriage certificate. It felt like the gold medal from an Olympic game. From it we learn Ingram is a 47-year-old widower with a profession noted as hardware merchant. His father’s profession is the same. Mary May’s age is given as 37yrs. and resident at St. Boniface’s College Warminster. Her father John Morgan Griffiths (Deceased) was a farmer. We already know this.” Where do we go from here? Asked Aidan?”my oh so patient husband. I suggest we go back into Cannock, get something to eat and think about our next move. Over many cups of tea we again look at our notes and what we have collected so far. We decide to try and find the house where they lived. We know the house was called “The Limes” and also know the name of the Road it was situated on.(again taken from Mary’s journal) We did not have a number for it and have no idea what it looks like. We had glimpsed a small part of it in the background of old photos. At this point we were really excited, having parked our car we made our way to New Penk-ridge Rd.camera at hand ready to photograph a part of our family history. Stretching before us the road carried on as far as the eye could see, a wide road with houses on both sides, big houses with long gardens to the fronts and really beautiful maintained gardens. Muttering, “ I’m glad I have my comfy shoes on” we set off down one side, it is a very hot day. Even had we had a number the doors were set to far back for us to see one. Our only hope was to look at the pillars to each entrance and hope and pray we might make out one, however worn bearing the name “The Limes” Up one side and down the other we travelled this road and could not find it. “Lets try again, we may have missed it, again, up and down this very long road without any luck. We stood at a loss as to what to do next. I guess that guardian angel that had helped us before (See Can You Believe This) took pity on this pair of old codgers and again decided to throw us a lifeline. An old lady came out of the house where we were standing.” I have watched you go up and down this Rd. are you lost or looking for someplace? Can I help you?” We told her we were looking for a house called “The Limes” She pondered, wrinkling an already well wrinkled brow and said” It rings a bell but I just can’t think how.” Do you know ----- Crescent? She asked? “No I replied, we are strangers here” She went on to inform us of a Mrs Brown who lived there and might be able to help. This sweet old dear took us to the address of Mrs Brown, knocked at the door and when Mrs Brown appeared said, “I think you might be able to help these folk” and off she went, bless her. Mrs Brown invited us into her home (how kind people are) We explained we were looking for a house called “The Limes” but could not find it. “I’m not surprised she said, it was demolished in 1970 to make way for that row of new houses you passed on the way in here” She must have noticed our disappointment, “ I may still be able to help you, I was the last person living there before it was demolished” (Oh thank you guardian angel) We were full of questions, what did it look like? Can you describe it, how many rooms did it have? The poor woman, we bombarded her with questions!!! She showed us snapshots of the house with her then small children in the foreground, not a lot of the house was to be seen. “ Wait, I’ve suddenly remembered, we once had an artist friend staying with us and he painted “The Limes” because we let him use a small room as a studio!” Lo and behold she left the room and came back with the painting. We gazed at it while a million thoughts went through our minds. This was the window Mary had looked out from; here was the path she had trod, how many times had she walked through that door. These gardens had hosted Fetes, Garden parties and had been a backdrop for pretty women in cloche hats pointed shoes with straps across the instep and fox furs, and all there in a good cause as we were to discover. Thank you Mrs Brown and all the wonderful kind people in Cannock who went out of their way to help us. How lucky we were, we were privileged to have been given once again a peek into Mary Mays past. We would go further as we now felt the Gods were on our side. Love Bridget x

PennyDainty

PennyDainty Report 9 May 2004 21:13

Bridget I've really enjoyed reading all about Mary May. I envy the fact that your husband is also interested in your search. Mine is most definetly NOT. You have a way with your writing that keeps the reader interested, have you ever thought of writing a book about Mary May?

Auntie Peanut

Auntie Peanut Report 9 May 2004 21:18

Hello Bridget, It's just too good to be true, Oh that sounds terrible, I don't mean it the way it sounds. I think Mary May must be guiding your footsteps, and what a sensible husband to suggest aa 'cuppa' and something to eat. Good on yer Aidan. Thanks you so much for sharing this with us. Norah x

***Julie*Ann***.sprinkling fairydust***

***Julie*Ann***.sprinkling fairydust*** Report 9 May 2004 22:19

how interesting, and lovely for you to find this out about mary may, my husband was born in stoke on trent, staffordshire and on his birth certificate it gives the place as the limes. however ive just asked him but this is apparently a different area.

bridan

bridan Report 9 May 2004 22:37

Christine, Thank you so much for your kind comments. I'm afraid I'm a thick as 2 short planks and would not have the talent to write a book. Mary May is just there waiting to be told. I loved writing letters to friends but while my handwriting was very good (or so I have been told) I did not dare write because my spelling was so bad!!! Thank God for computers and spellchecks. The only problem now is friends will not write back to me because they say my writing is beautiful and I never make a spelling mistake ! As they are not into computers (we are in 70+ age group) they think it's my writing and spelling! I wish ! I have tried to explain about fonts (I use amaze) and spellchecker but to no avail. What's the answer? Should I go back to longhand spelling mistakes and all?Love Bridget. P.S I bet iv'e made a few spelling mistakes here!

Rebecca

Rebecca Report 10 May 2004 10:20

Hi Bridget, Thank you for another wonderful instalment of Mary Mays story. What wonderful people you have met, I think Mary May is definitely guiding you along! I think you really do have talent as a writer, talent is all about keeping the reader interested, and you certainly do that! I for one would buy a copy if you did decide to write a book on Mary May! Also a big thumbs up to your hubby for taking such an interest, mine gets a very glazed look in his eyes whenever I talk about my research! Rebecca

bridan

bridan Report 10 May 2004 22:39

Hi Rebecca, How strange, my husband also gets that glazed look when I mentoin the word SHOPPING ! Now 9.40 and we are still packing ready for the off early tomorrow morning. I shall bring my notebook with me and if I get the chance I will write a little more on Mary May. The discription of her wedding dress should amuse the ladies! I shall miss the message board which I love. I do not expect to find a cyber caff where we are going.Love Bridget x