General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I'm expecting, - How many?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 10 May 2004 07:37

Today's the day! The wild duck which decided that our old greenhouse would be just right for nesting, has so far hatched, I think 2 ducklings, this morning. Can't be sure because they are still tucked under Mum... I know it's an every day occurence, but I'm just so thrilled that they're here. There were at least 7 eggs, probably more, so don't know how many will hatch.

BrianW

BrianW Report 10 May 2004 07:40

Congratulations, you must be very proud !

JackyJ1593

JackyJ1593 Report 10 May 2004 07:56

Well done and congratulations to you and the other mum. Don't forget the camera! Jacky:-)

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 May 2004 08:03

oh how lovely! wish I had them in my greenhouse, it will be fascinating for you to watch their developement. I too would be very excited. xx

Auntie Peanut

Auntie Peanut Report 10 May 2004 09:29

Oh gosh, it's making me feel quite broody again!!! Norah

Sandra

Sandra Report 10 May 2004 10:19

what a lovely thing on a monday morning, you must be proud love sandra

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 10 May 2004 16:33

UPDATE...There are 12 little ducklings following their mum, exploring my garden and jumping in and out of the water dishes I placed for them. Thank you all for your good wishes and thoughts. Yes, - a very happy Monday here today!

Sandra

Sandra Report 10 May 2004 16:41

lovely gwyneth, i once was an ugly duckling !!!! no they must be cute lol sandra

BrianW

BrianW Report 10 May 2004 16:48

Some of us are still ugly ducklings !

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 May 2004 16:57

oh gwyneth - that sounds lovely :-) thanks for sharing - as the others said - it cheers up a monday morning

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 May 2004 17:03

Gwyneth - how exciting, wish l had them here - and yes piccies please,praps you could put them on She's site???? Jude :o)

Lynda

Lynda Report 10 May 2004 17:56

Hi Gwyneth It's nice to hear some cheerful news these days. Congratulations, and well done that Mother Duck!! Lynda x

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 12 May 2004 14:11

Fox cubs are great to watch too, though not in the same garden.! Actually feeling rather low here, re. ducklings.... Folk may recall from a recent posting about goslings that our visiting duck had not thought how she was going to get her babies out of our garden. We live on the edge of open farmland, with foxes and lots of magpies around. Being near the sea we have alot of gulls on the rooftops too.Yesterday I was up before 5 am, on magpie/gull patrol, watching that they didn't swoop in and take any ducklings. I tried coaxing 'Mum', in the hope that we could take her and babies to a canal, a few streets away but no luck.Eventually called RSPCA, and a chap came and caught the ducklings and although he was patient, he just couldn't catch the mother,so the ducklings have gone to an animal sanctuary to be cared for.He said more than likely all will survive, whereas left to nature maybe only about 4 would avoid the preying birds, or pike in the canal. I feel really bad for separating them after all her dedicated sitting to hatch them and keep thinking of her.

Unknown

Unknown Report 12 May 2004 15:22

Hi Gwyneth - l think l would have done the same thing as you, they are all here to tell the tale and mum can produce more l am sure - well done:0) Jude