General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

City of London Cemetery and Crematorium

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 10 May 2004 11:54

I have just received the latest edition of their newsletter. There are loads of interesting articles and I will add bits and pieces from them on here as I get time. As it is one of the largest cemeteries in Europe, I hope there will be a few interested folks on GC. Maz. XX

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 10 May 2004 11:58

Address is Aldersbrook Road, London E12 5DQ Tel 020 8530 2151 website www(.)cityoflondon(.)gov(.)uk/cemetery office is open mon-fri 9.30 - 3.30 ex bank hols special number for genealogy searches 020 8530 9825

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 10 May 2004 12:04

Forthcoming events:- Summer Memorial Services Sunday 11th July 1pm Crematorium centenary open day 22 August 2004 10am to 4pm - stalls, tours, walks, demonstrations, talks Autumn Memorial Services Sunday 3rd October 1pm Armistice Service Thurs 11 November 12noon Christmas Memorial Services Sunday 12 December 1pm All memorial services in the Cemetery church. Call 020 8530 9838 for free tickets.

Sandra

Sandra Report 10 May 2004 12:12

thanks maz, also if someone lived in tottenham court rd, do you have any idea which cemetry they might have used , early 1900's sandra

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 10 May 2004 12:20

Sandra I have e-mailed you direct.

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 10 May 2004 12:26

They are advertising 2 services for the recently bereaved called Bereavementgard and the Bereavement Register. Bereavementgard is a call suppression system to protect the recently bereaved from telemarketing. The service is free to bereaved familes and you can register on 0800 083 0537. The Bereavement Register is to stop unwanted mail being sent to the deceased. Register on 0870 600 7222 or www(.)the-bereavement-register(.)org(.)uk

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 10 May 2004 12:41

Flowers have their own meanings and 'floriography' was popular in Victorian and Edwardian times. You could send secret messages by bouquet! Here are just a few ... Anemone - forsaken Bluebell - love everlasting Daffodil - respect Daisy - innocence Flowering Almond - hope French Marigold - jealousy Freesia - trust Forget-me-not - remember me Heliotrope - devotion Hollyhock - ambition Honeysuckle - generosity Ivy - fidelity Japonica - loveliness Lily - purity Mimosa - sensitivity Peony - bashfulness Pink Rose - grace Red Rose - passion Rhododendron - danger Sweet Pea - thank you White Heather - good luck White Rose - love and beauty Yellow Tulip - hopeless love

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 10 May 2004 15:28

Here are some meanings of memorial carvings ... Arrow - mortality Broken Column - end of life (usually the head of the family) Buttercup - cheerfulness Circle - eternite Clasped Hands - unity after death Cleaver - butcher Compasses - shipwright Fig - eternal life Laurel - success and achievement Owl - wisdom Rosebud - child Scales - merchant Shamrock - Ireland Swallow - child or motherhood Sword - military Thistle - Scotland Wheatsheaf - divine harvest Wheel - Wheelwright Wreath - victory

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 10 May 2004 16:14

Just a reminder (as printed in the newsletter) for anyone moving home. If you are a Registered Grave Owner, have a dedication in a Memorial Garden, pay for Grave Mainenance or are in any other way 'on the books' of a cemetery or crematorium, please remember to notify them when you move.

Karen

Karen Report 16 May 2004 01:42

nudge

Sandra

Sandra Report 16 May 2004 07:40

maz loved your meaning of flowers etc i'm going to print it off to add to my memorie book with my tree sandra