General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Christmas Day Weddings

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JackyJ1593

JackyJ1593 Report 11 May 2004 15:28

My husband's grandparents were wed on Christmas Day in the 1920's. How common was this I wonder as I know it used to be done on religious holidays so that people didn't have to take time off during the working week. Jacky:-)

Trish

Trish Report 11 May 2004 15:29

Must be quite common as I have about half a dozen who do this.

Ann

Ann Report 11 May 2004 15:29

Hi Jacky, My parents married on Boxing Day 1954 Ann

Tammie

Tammie Report 11 May 2004 15:36

Except on soaps, they all seem to have Christmas Day weddings!

Rose

Rose Report 11 May 2004 16:05

Hi, I remember my brother's in-laws telling me that either they or their parents married on Chrismas Day- couldn't tell you when. They worked for the post office and it was the only day of the year they got off, apparently. Rose

Unknown

Unknown Report 11 May 2004 17:05

it was often because it was the only day off the couple had in the year :-(

Julie

Julie Report 11 May 2004 21:23

Hi Jacky my mum and dad were married on christmas eve 1954

Claire in Lincs

Claire in Lincs Report 12 May 2004 07:11

Iv discovered quite a few anscestors got married on christmas day....what a lovely time to get married,,,,i wonder if they had turkey at the wedding breakfast..

Jane

Jane Report 12 May 2004 07:39

Hi Jacky, An Aunt and Uncle of mine were married on Christmas day in 1914. It wasnt because he was a soldier fighting in the great war though, he only had one eye and wasnt allowed to join up! I think it is possibly right about religious holidays being practically the only time you got off work. As a child i grew up having romantic notions that i would be allowed to marry on Christmas day aswell. No such luck i'm afraid. My birthday is on Christmas day though so that had to be enough for me! Jane.