General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

not answering e.mails

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mark

Mark Report 14 May 2004 15:10

Why do people put their details on this site if they are not prepared to answer any e.mails you send them ? I have contacted a few people regarding their trees where there is a definate connection (2nd cousins !) and they cannot be bothered even to write back and say 'bog off' let alone give any help or info. That's my moan of the day.......off my chest, now back to research :-) mark

*****me*****

*****me***** Report 14 May 2004 15:16

mark, if anyone emails me,i always answer them,well if someone takes the trouble to contact you,you should do the decent thing and reply,even if to say there is no connection. chris. good luck!!

badger

badger Report 14 May 2004 16:00

I wish someone would send me an e/mail with a load of details about my family ,especially as i seem to be hitting one brick wall after another ,anyone with info on my lot ,e/mail me pleaseeeeeeeeee[ignorent ones] Don,t bother.denis.

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 May 2004 19:53

Mark I've put a thread about this over on the Tips board; I discovered yesterday whilst looking through my contacts list that two people had emailed me - and I never received their emails! I was really embarassed in case they thought that I was rude, so I quickly emailed them to explain. I think some other people have had this problem, so it may be worth checking your contacts every few days or so. Hope this helps. Mandy

Pat Kendrick

Pat Kendrick Report 19 May 2004 12:09

This thread has been on before. I cannot see ANY point in joining a site that says Genes connected if you have no intention of trying to connect with a family member. No matter how distant they are part of your genes. Some people are downright rude fortunatley it is only about 1 in 1000, and the other 999 certainly make up for them. Pat

Clitheroelass

Clitheroelass Report 19 May 2004 13:01

hi i once contacted some one about a connection after 2weeks with no reply i contacted the person again,they e-mailed me back with an apology to say they had not received my 1st e-mail. i alwys reply to contacts wether there is a connection or not. tracy

Lesley

Lesley Report 19 May 2004 20:36

I now check my contacts list regularly as I have had so many e-mails go astray ... I'm sure nobody would mind if you e-mail them for a second time ...

A. Neil

A. Neil Report 19 May 2004 21:08

Hi Mark. Even if their tree or names are on GC, they may not be membersa any longer and can't e-mail back through GC. I have had the same problem. Sent three e-mails to a contact and nothing in return. Good luck. Neil

Dedrah

Dedrah Report 21 May 2004 15:00

I just wish someone would contact me to say they were related I would certainly reply Dedrah (nee Shufflebottom) its ok you can all laugh!!

Sandra

Sandra Report 21 May 2004 16:38

Hi everyone, i check my contacts every day, and i always reply to any emails even if its a no connection, i have had quite a few with no reply, but i had 2 this week and one is a definate connection, there have been a couple which i know connnect but have had no reply, which is a shame as i have quite a bit of research, cerificates and photos, still never mind. this may help some but my mum is with ntl and doen't seem to able to email me, i drove from maidstone to brighton to send myself an email and i got nothing, yet she can recieve them from me, doesn't make sense. so don't give up alot of us do reply, take care sandra

Julie

Julie Report 21 May 2004 16:42

I always reply if I get a response, even if the person's details don't tie in with my findings. I have been extremely lucky though through CuriousFox someone contacted me and sent me their research for one side of the family back to the 1700's!! So don't despair some of us are really nice. Julie

Debi Coone

Debi Coone Report 21 May 2004 18:08

Mark just keep perservering - I did this with one contact and finally the poor chap came back to me - he had been hit by a computer virus and was just as frustrated as I lol! Most people are gracious enough to reply either way. Today a contact has taken time out whilst on his hols just to acknowledge my email and say he will make contact again when he returns home : ) Much happiness Debi