General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Advice On Compassionate Leave

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tammie

Tammie Report 14 May 2004 16:42

Can anyone advise me please? A friend of mines father has just passed away, and his employer has told him he can only have one days compassionate leave and thats for the funeral, does anyone know if this is right?

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 May 2004 16:45

I think its up to the employer what they give. Some are very good and others, like the one you are talking about, not so good. Could take sick leave, under stress!

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 May 2004 16:51

It does depend on the employer - my husband's employers are usually pretty good, but when his nan died, they made him take a day's holiday for the funeral! I would be inclined to do what the previous reply suggested and take some sick leave - providing of course that he gets sick pay - because 'grief reaction' is a legitimate reason for sick leave. Sending you both my condolences as well.

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 May 2004 16:52

yes unfortunately it's usually at the disgression of the employer. a trip to the GP will probably help, get signed off for a week or two

Tammie

Tammie Report 14 May 2004 16:59

Thanks Everyone, I'll tell him to visit his doctor, Shame his employer isnt a member of GC, he might get better treated then!

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 14 May 2004 17:37

Casting my mind back four years, in the civil service there is a scale, so many days depending on relationship and definitely more for a Father than one day. When my Mum died I had a week off as I lived away and needed to do the arrangements, but i think it would normally be three days for a parent including a day for the funeral. It should be written down somewhre in his conditions of service. Unfortunately if it is a small firm he wont have much come back as they seem to get away with more than the large firms. But i agree, tell him to go sick, he should get statutary sick pay. Ann Glos

lou from leicestershire

lou from leicestershire Report 14 May 2004 17:51

i presume you mean paid time off ? it would be written into ur contract or in the rules of the work place so they should be able to find out but some workplaces dont give any or just 2 days - one wen the person died and one for the funeral my work place is very good and gives as much as is needed you can probably judge how good they r by whether they give you sick pay too and it would be no good taking the time of as sick leave if u dont get paid - you mite as well tell them ur taking compasionate leave whetheror not u get paid

lou from leicestershire

lou from leicestershire Report 14 May 2004 17:54

you only get statuary sick pay after 3 days

Tammie

Tammie Report 14 May 2004 18:27

Thanks Everyone again, He does get SSP not alot but better than nothing tho, The company is small only employs about 10 people and his boss is the least compassionate person I know, hes great about other things, but hates people having time off for anything, theres a running joke there that you could be in hospital dying and he'd bring the work to you or fetch you in a wheelchair to do it!

Lisa

Lisa Report 14 May 2004 22:18

it all depends on the employer ,but it would take me more than a day to get over my fathers death.should be at least two weeks.

badger

badger Report 14 May 2004 22:24

most decent firms give three days for parents ,and siblings ,but you get quite a few scrooges.Myself ,if my employer said i couldnt take three for this reason ,i would take it anyway and to hell with the job,Denis.