General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Just out of interest.......

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JackyJ1593

JackyJ1593 Report 15 May 2004 18:39

See below.........

JackyJ1593

JackyJ1593 Report 15 May 2004 18:43

How many people who contribute to or read this board, live in the country where they were born. If you have moved away, why did you? For a better life? How many have moved away from the area where they born? Again why? For a better life? I have moved 3 times and each time with my husband's job. either that or redundancy. Each area is different in it's ways and it's people. Even in this country, locals moan about others moving into 'their' area, be it because of taking jobs away from locals or because children are taking places at 'their' schools. No matter where people come from or live you will always find good and bad. Is it fair or polite to refer to anyone as 'them' or 'they'. Jacky, now stepping off soap box and having a beer :-)

Sandra

Sandra Report 15 May 2004 18:52

hi born in england still here, grew up in brighton left at 18yrs 1980 went to crawley in 1993 went to southsea 1995 canterbury 2002 to maidstone i've moved 39 times since i was born, i might stay put sandra

Cosmosmallpiece

Cosmosmallpiece Report 15 May 2004 19:09

Hi i was born in Exeter Devon and 44 year's later i am still here.

***Julie*Ann***.sprinkling fairydust***

***Julie*Ann***.sprinkling fairydust*** Report 15 May 2004 23:27

i was born in the town i live in, married my penfriend who was in forces and moved, lived in germany, surrey, and emsworth, then back to my home town. however read my thread about bigots, today, and i tell a lot more about my home town, and how sad it makes me. glad you got a soap box too jacky as i have one and keep falling off. julie newport

JackyJ1593

JackyJ1593 Report 15 May 2004 23:46

Julile, I read your thread just after posting this one. I don't get the soap box out very often. I think it is the drink that makes me fall off! My family are Welsh, Irish, English and now a new generation of English/Jamaican and English/ West Indian. We have Catholic, Protestant and Atheist. But we all have a good laugh and chat when together. Long may it be so. Jacky:-)

***Julie*Ann***.sprinkling fairydust***

***Julie*Ann***.sprinkling fairydust*** Report 15 May 2004 23:58

glad to hear it must be great when the family get together, if everyone were more open minded world would be a better place wouldnt it. my soap box is always out, must be the painkillers that make me fall off it, they get the blame for everything else lol, best wishes hope your family stay so happy julie newport

Karen

Karen Report 16 May 2004 00:39

I was born 50 years ago in the bedroom I sleep in now. I have lived in Germany and Sweden , came back to my home town 26 years ago. When my Mum passed we bought the family home , where my Dad lived untill he passed. I then came home and here I hope to stay. I have the same neighbours now as when I was born and their grandchildren will be be my neighbours in the future. The house is filled with many lovely memorys and lots of love. Karen : )

Michelle

Michelle Report 16 May 2004 10:18

I live a mile away from where I was born and a street away from where I lived from the age of 2 to when I left home at 20. Guess you could say I'm a home bird. M.

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 May 2004 10:49

What a lovely story Karen Baker has! I lived in the same town from birth until 20 years old, when I got married and moved to London which was where my husband worked. We stayed there for 5 years (until our son was a year old) then decided we'd prefer to be back in the westcountry. We moved to Somerset because it was the nearest place to my home town that he could get a job at the time, and we've been here nearly 15 years. Very happy here, our son has grown up here and my parents moved nearby when they retired.