General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Tupperware

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

John

John Report 16 May 2004 19:54

I would like to crown my wife "Queen of Tupperware". She must have at least 80 items: tubs, bowls, peeler etc etc etc etc. Is this a deserved title in your opinion? Can anyone else better it?

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 16 May 2004 20:02

Will count up tomorrow when family are out of the kitchen. Most of mine was bought overseas, - very useful for keeping insects out of the cornflakes! Think your wife may have the most though.

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 May 2004 20:26

Haven't quite got as many as that!! but I have had most for the last 35 years and still going strong. Where can I buy some more? There doesn't seem to be parties anymore. Margaret

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 16 May 2004 20:34

Margaret, I think I heard earlier this year that Tupperware parties have finished. I don't know if that's just UK or not. Charity shops round here often sell Tupperware at knock down prices.

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 May 2004 20:40

I have loads but not as much as your wife! It definitely finished recently - all the distributors (area warehouses) were made redundant in the UK. It's an American company so maybe if we're really bored sometime we could google it and find out if it's still going over there :))

Chris

Chris Report 16 May 2004 21:00

Well they haven't told anyone in New Zealand that they have finished. My daughter went to a tupperware party just last week! It hasn't got any cheaper either!

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 16 May 2004 21:08

Anyone know the precise reason for the introduction of the Tupperware Lettuce Saver? I bought the blessed thing (must be 25 years ago now) it was for all the world like a green basin with a lid, however (and here's the odd thing ) I cannot for the life of me remember what the spikey thing at the bottom of the basin was supposed to do! On the plus side, the basin is a nice handy size for emptying the fish pond (minus the spike I might add). Answers (clean for preference) on a post card to........... Bewildered of Nottingham

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 16 May 2004 21:22

Dear Bewildered of Nottingham, Perhaps we could start a new sideline advising folk of alternative uses for those items that seemed so useful when we listened to the enthusiastic Tupperware demonstrator. My children found that a 'salad keeper', a bit like a mini windowbox, was just right for shaping snowblocks when they wanted to make an igloo one winter. PS. The spike pushed into the base of the lettuce stem was supposed to keep it fresher longer.

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 16 May 2004 21:42

Ah Gwyneth - that was it!!!! Only worked if you had a Cos or Head of Lettuce - of course. I now buy bags of lettuce leaves from the Supermarket so have no need to stick the spike up the er............end of the lettuce! I also remember buying a fluted sort of basin (quite like the aforesaid green salad saver but white) because the demonstrator made a trifle in it - only thing was, by the time I paid for the fluted basin I could not afford the trifle ingredients! Another tupperware item bit the dust! The only thing I still use (apart from the pond-baler-outer) is a blue jug (well, was once blue but is now a rather gungie greyish green colour) which is handy to rinse soapy hair! I'm sure it had an alternative use when new, but cannot for the life of me remember! Enlightened of Nottingham

Janet

Janet Report 16 May 2004 22:15

I really hate to admit this but I was one of those demonstrators. Therefore I have hundreds of pieces of the darn stuff. We had to have all the stuff in the range and then when new items were introduced we had to have it, if it came out in different colours again we had to have it. If we did well in promotions our prizes were - special tupperware. Hence I have 3 of those lettuce thing's, all slightly different (and no fish tank !!!!!) I still use the space saver range but an awful lot of mine is either in the garage or in the loft. Janet

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 3 Jun 2004 21:55

How sad is this? Yesterday I was looking through a pile of handwritten recipes and found a Tupperware booklet. It was dated 1976. Will it do as my c.v. to be an attendant to whoever gets the Tupperware crown?,- Sorry, it's all in Greek, though!.

Auntie Peanut

Auntie Peanut Report 3 Jun 2004 23:14

Take 2-tins Mandarin Oranges. I large tub of Double Cream 1-Pkt. Sponge fingers and one Tupperware fluted bowl with small lid and large lid (cover) Put the mandarins in a strainer collecting the juice in a tall container. Dip each sponge finger into said tall container of mandarin juice and then press slightly soggy finger into a flute. Carry on in this manner until all flutes are filled. Cover the bottom of fluted dish with cream, then layer of mandarins, another layer of cream, a second layer of mandarins. Put large lid (cover) on; turn upside down (with small lid to the top) saying Abracadabra as you do so, then remove small lid (get a sqelching sound) then remove fluted dish and hey presto, you have a mandarin surprise!!! I made it a few times and it always went down well. Norah Put lid on bowl, turn upside down

Auntie Peanut

Auntie Peanut Report 3 Jun 2004 23:16

Oh my rice keeper? is now kept permanantly on the kitchen windowsill, and in it goes all my household refuse for the compost heap. Definitely think your wife deserves Queen of the Tupperware title!!! Norah

Karen

Karen Report 8 Jun 2004 03:06

nudge

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 8 Jun 2004 09:06

I remember trying to use Tupperware for an 'alternative use'. The fancy fluted bowls came with a variety of seals so that the jelly would have a flower shape, star or whatever. We lived in Cyprus and one Christmas I decided the children and I would make our own chocolate tree decorations as the shops didn't sell them there. Melted the chocolate, poured it into the Tupperware seal and it promptly melted the Tupperware onto the kitchen worktop. Spent the rest of the morning scraping up the congealed mess. A bit of thought would have told me this would happen but I never was great at science and it seemed such a good idea at the time.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 8 Jun 2004 12:34

Still using for fridge storage coloured cereal bowls, small sandwich boxes (lost most of the lids, very large tumbler, small round containers with lids, in cupboard with biscuits in, brown and orange special edition (some Royal occasion I think) round containers. (I have three), also in fridge cheese keeper, large flat oblong (was it a large square round or something). Most of which was bought in the 60s/70s. And yes I have the salad saver (green basin) minus spike too. Ann Glos