General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Who opens your mail?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 21 May 2004 07:53

Talking with friends recently, we found differing views about who should open the post. What do you think? Should it be the person who is home and perhaps has more time to deal with it, or should mail only be opened by the person it's addressed to?

badger

badger Report 21 May 2004 07:57

I suppose it should be done by mutual arrangement ,but technically it is an offence to open any mail but your own .Fred.

kylie from perth in oz

kylie from perth in oz Report 21 May 2004 08:03

i open it cos im so nosey hehe

Sandra

Sandra Report 21 May 2004 08:15

i do but then theres only me, so i can't even leave the bills for someone else, though the dog would love to get there before me lol sandra

JackyJ1593

JackyJ1593 Report 21 May 2004 08:26

We all open out own mail. If addressed to myself and hubby it is usually a bill so I let him open! Jacky

Susanne

Susanne Report 21 May 2004 09:13

I open all the post but then I have a very good excuse, other half cant read!!! Sue:-)

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 May 2004 09:37

I would not dream of opening my wife's mail, unless she specifically asked me too. No matter how close we are I still see that as an invasion of privacy. The only mail addressed to me that she'll open (and vice versa) is utility bills.

Debbie

Debbie Report 21 May 2004 10:46

I open the mail through the week when hes at work. unless its the bank statement or his credit card statement cause I dont want to see how much he has spent. At the weekends and I am in bed he will open them unless it is addressed to me. Like last Saturday I had a certificate through and he knew I had been waiting so he left it for me to open. Debbie

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 21 May 2004 11:13

I would hate it if Tony opened my mail. We always open our own, except maybe utility bills when it is obvious what they are. I think everyone is entitled to privacy. If they are addressed to both of us he leaves them to me because i am the one who writesthe letters they are answering. he reads them after me though if he wants to. Ann Glos

Kaz

Kaz Report 21 May 2004 12:21

unfortunatly the dogs open most of mine, i dont mind if its a bill, but get a bit annoyed when its a cheque or greeting card, they usually sit on the shelf with teeth marks in them, LOL kaz

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 May 2004 12:24

Kaz, get a postbox tiffed to the outside of the house, thats what my sister in law did when she had the same problem. Our dog doesn't chew the mail, just barks her head off at the poor postie

Debbie

Debbie Report 21 May 2004 12:28

Kaz I usualy put my cheques in the Bank. I have never thought about displaying them on the mantle. Debbie

Victoria

Victoria Report 21 May 2004 14:33

I open my mail and then I phone him at work to tell him he has "interesting" looking mail, that gets him curious and he asks me to open it! haha The only thing i refuse to open is birthday cards (obviously) and the bank statements!

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 May 2004 14:38

strict rule in our house you only open mail addressed to you. thats nice cos all the bills go to the master of the house anyway. lol

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 May 2004 17:45

Gwyneth, this was a really interesting one to see everyone's different opinions. I open nearly all the post, mainly because I'm the first one home, and also because I'm the one who organises the money. Also hubby and I don't have any secrets from each other. But obviously I wouldn't open things like his birthday cards etc. As a special treat, I let him open anything with his name on at the weekend!

Natalie

Natalie Report 21 May 2004 17:47

The dog opens our post lol

Pumphrey

Pumphrey Report 21 May 2004 17:50

I always open ours unless its birthday cards or packages! Andy works away all week so I have to really but he usually gets up before me at weekends so he can do it then. I deal with all the bills and stuff anyway and lets face it, most of what you get now goes straight into the recycling bag! Pam

Bren from Oldham

Bren from Oldham Report 21 May 2004 23:05

Husband picks up the post has a quick glance then says they're all for you ,then gives them to me to sort out. Most of it goes in the bin anyway. Bren

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 23 May 2004 09:52

As Fred says, I guess most people have a mutual agreement but I'm with Paul and Ann and think everyone has a right to privacy so I would not open anyone else's mail unless specifically asked to.eg. when 2 of them were away at uni. letters would come sometimes come here in term time. When we spoke on the phone, they might ask me to open the letter and read them the contents. To me it's not about not having secrets, it's about repect. There is none of my mail that I wouldn't be quite happy to hand straight over to my husband, but AFTER I had opened it.