General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

My poor wee plants have all died!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Wee Scottish Lass

Wee Scottish Lass Report 21 May 2004 22:35

After buying packets of marigold, asters, tomatoes, strawberries, lobelias etc. and lovingly nurtured them in my new greenhouse, they have all died overnight. The only thing I can think of thats happened is that I had all the sections of the greenhouse sealed with a clear sealent which had acetic acid in it. The place stank of vinegar. Could it have been that? Anyone know? Now I have to start again!

Heather

Heather Report 21 May 2004 22:55

Hi Eileen, Oh dear, did you have a heater on? We had a problem once with a parafin heater. Was it frosty last night ? We've had rain and hail today and possible frost tonight too. I sympathise with your loss of plants, my husband grew some cabbages and they were doing really well until he put them in the garden and a rabbit had them for breakfast. Heather

Wee Scottish Lass

Wee Scottish Lass Report 21 May 2004 22:59

Hi Heather, No there was no heater , but it wasn't cold here either. They had been in for a week without any problem and as soon as we started sealing the panels, the next morning they had all wilted.

47551 Report 21 May 2004 23:03

Eileen, I am so sorry you have lost all your plants. It sounds like you went to my school of gardening - I only have to look at a plant for it to die, except the dreaded weeds. I do hope you manage to get some more that will be stronger and bring you many hours of happiness during the summer months. Nes

Crista

Crista Report 21 May 2004 23:08

Eileen, Acetic acid is a herbicide but I wouldn't have thought the vapours alone would kill them. How did the foliage look? Acetic acid initially browns the foliage and later will turn it blackened and water-soaked. Crista

Wee Scottish Lass

Wee Scottish Lass Report 21 May 2004 23:12

Crista the plants all went brown round the edges and withered. The stems were all discoloured as well.

Crista

Crista Report 21 May 2004 23:27

Eileen, Just found an article that mentions acetic acid vapour will damage plants so that must be it. Crista

Wee Scottish Lass

Wee Scottish Lass Report 21 May 2004 23:31

Thanks Crista. Now I know. If only I had it all done BEFORE I put the plants in. You live and learn I suppose. Thanks again.