General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Finally added my 132 new relatives!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sand

Sand Report 22 May 2004 20:38

I am SO happy--a kind relative gave me a copy of her tree, and I have FINALLY finished adding the 132 new family members to mine! So many stories in it, too--family who died far too young, multiple marriages--and multiple births! I discovered that my great uncle had twelve children--hence the many, many cousins. Only problem is that now I have a tonne of new names in my Names Summary to try to match to others! Anyone got any advice on a quick way to do a search for matches? I generally check through the Names Summary for matches every week or so, but this will take a huge amount of time now--a quick look earlier today told me I have over 11,000 matches to my surnames in only 6 days! How do people with large trees do it? Do you just search for key family member's names, rather than all the blood relations as I do? Any advice appreciated!

Susanne

Susanne Report 22 May 2004 20:57

Sally, Congratulations on all your new rellies. When you add a large amount of names to your tree all at once, everyone with the same surname as the ones you have added will show as new. I gradually went through all mine (which took a while) and now I try and check every day or 2. Sue:-)

Sand

Sand Report 22 May 2004 21:53

Thanks Sue and Jude, I only have one question--what's Gencircles and how do I put my tree on it?! I have been sitting in my computer chair so long today that I may have to spend the night here! Think I've become a computer geek....

Sandra

Sandra Report 23 May 2004 09:26

Well done Sally, nice to hear your news, if you type gencircles into the address bar it will bring up the site, you want my gencircles when you scroll down. i'm not great on computers, but you go into file and it says import/export tree make a gedcom file, then you go to gencircles and download the file. One of the more illiterate on the pc will probably be able to explain it better than me. i'm on gencircles and have had 1 match so far it does it automatically, so you just go in everyso often to see. My trees also getting larger i have 1 on here, tribal pages, and gencircles as well as on my home pc. I have large files for the documents etc, and have just started a card file where i have the names and info, I try to keep a check on the direct line, reguarly and the other branches i just take it turns, doing a name search, hope this helps sandra

Sand

Sand Report 23 May 2004 13:54

Thanks for that, Sandra. I will try it. Suddenly realised that I should actually have a back-up of my tree somewhere other than here anyway, especially now I have so many names on it! I have it all on paper, of course, but would hate to have to type it all in again! Many thanks again--i'm glad I've finally cottoned onto how helpful the board is! It's only taken me two years to discover it!

Sandra

Sandra Report 23 May 2004 14:25

hi sally, another good site to put your tree is tribal pages its free and you can add photos music stories etc for the individuals, which is alot of fun, if you want to take a look at mine i'll email you the password, sandra