General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How addictive is family history?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Estelle

Estelle Report 23 May 2004 10:06

Yesterday morning I discovered the joys of free BMD and 1837 online. Then I spent the best part of 3 hours last night updating my gedcom. Today I have now found loads of info on the IGI. I can't stop!!! Sadly I've got to spend the day round my mother-in-laws when all I want to do is continue with this!!! I am now hoping to find some matches on GC too.

Sandra

Sandra Report 23 May 2004 10:09

Hi Estelle, its very addictive, once you get a new name your chomping at the bit, have a good day, remember the rellie will still be there when you get back. happy hunting sandra

Estelle

Estelle Report 23 May 2004 10:41

Thanks for your messages! I already spend way too much time on a parenting forum, I can't become addicted to this too!! My husband will despair of me!

Unknown

Unknown Report 23 May 2004 11:32

In my case very very much so ,please asak my wife she is not talking to me at the moment .

Sue (Sylvia Z )

Sue (Sylvia Z ) Report 23 May 2004 12:50

Estelle, It's a funny old world, my friend (male) lives down the road and we're always popping in out of each others houses to exchange Genealogy info. He is more hooked than me, and we often go to the FRC together, his wife is very understanding about his "little hobby". So I wonder if our other neighbours are curious!! lol Sue

Bren from Oldham

Bren from Oldham Report 23 May 2004 22:06

It's very addictive and at times can be very frustrating, because it can sometimes take months even years to find the person you are looking for. Every night about 8 my husband says are you going and checking your e-mails see you tomorrow morning I spend hours looking for info both on the net and in the local Library I also spend a lot of time on this site Bren

Margaret

Margaret Report 23 May 2004 22:13

Very addictive, as addiictive as my hubby is with the tele remote control

*****me*****

*****me***** Report 23 May 2004 22:33

very addictive!! i've had my pc just over 12 months,don't know what i did before i got it! i used to sew a lot,but that's gone for a burton now!! i traced my tree back to 1811 so far and found out my g.g.grandmother was a dressmaker,so it must be in the genes! and i've just broken down another brick wall and found my g.grans father in law with the help of the kind people on this site. chris.