General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

A suggestion concerning offensive material on this

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Aileen

Aileen Report 23 May 2004 12:48

I really feel strongly that if you find the content of a post offensive or inappropriate, then DON'T respond to it! If you succumb then you will only inflame the situation and please the writer! I am going to suggest to GC that they monitor all posts with NIL responses. That way the monitors will be able to check quickly whether the lack of response is due to offensive behaviour or not and then deal with the perpertrators accordingly. There is discord at the moment and it is not very pleasant so l suggest it is nipped in the bud quickly and then we can enjoy this site fully. Think before you type! Aileenx

Elizabeth A

Elizabeth A Report 23 May 2004 12:51

I added this to the other thread. Thiught I'd post here as well - seems appropiate. I agree with most things that have been said here. Remember that written word: a) cannot be retracted once written, b) And can be misconstrued. Spoken word – due to facial expressions, mannerisms etc – the same phrase – CAN take on a different meaning. I may not have helped many people, BUT I have enjoyed my time on Genes Connected and made some connections. I am not going to leave. What I would like to see – is all the bickering/backstabbing/call it what you will stop. If, after opening a thread, you do not like the contents, DON’T reply. REPORT it. By replying, IF the thread is there to wind up, then: a) it won’t work b) And if you have reported it – hopefully it will have been removed. There is a phrase – Don’t lower yourselves to that standard. Stop and think. Liz

Melba64

Melba64 Report 23 May 2004 13:00

I agree totally Aileen. I used to spend a lot of time on this board but recently I have not bothered so much because of all the sniping and offensive material. If you click on a subject and find you don't like what it says, you shouldn't add a response. Ignore it or report it but as has already been said don't lower yourself to their level. Lets get back to the light hearted chatty board that this once was. Mel

Fairy

Fairy Report 23 May 2004 13:04

I agree, last week I put something on here only to be informed a few minutes later that the title had already been discussed exactly a month earlier. Well I did'nt know that without checking first as I'm fairly new here. I was really mad and wondered why, then I got a very sarcastic reply again. I decided to igore it, it would only upset everybody else on here. It's only words after all and they can't hurt us.

Aileen

Aileen Report 23 May 2004 13:54

Hi Lynda, Like I said, I've written to GC and I'll await their reply. Recently I've seen stuff on here and have been tempted to type in my view but I really do not want to get caught up in an argument because I've got better things to do with my time than give the author a platform and the publicity they are seeking....and getting! I still feel that by not 'adding to the pot' the tasteless material will soon dry up. Best regards Aileenx

Mary

Mary Report 23 May 2004 14:15

thank you at long last someone feels the same way i do. I didn't write before as i didn't want to offended anyone ,but i agree with you lets get back to friendly chat, mary