General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

superstions and Magpie's

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SusieQ

SusieQ Report 25 May 2004 18:34

Do you believe in the Magpie song 1 for sorrow 2 joy 3 for girl 4 for a boy 5 for silver 6 for gold 7 for a secret never to be told. The reason i ask is that for the last 6 weeks or so i have had 1 magpie where ever i am. ie front of the house, back of the house. when i went to the shops one flew down and landed just inches away from me. I have had nothing but bad luck, bad health etc during this time. My head tells me that this is just concidence, but my heart is telling me different. what do you think and is their anyway i can rid this run of bad luck. Thanks for listening Sue-Manchester

Dave the Tyke

Dave the Tyke Report 25 May 2004 19:25

Hi Susan, I'm not particularly superstitious but my wife always says "good morning Mr. Magpie" if she sees one on its own, other people salute a singleton and I did hear of a person crashing his car because he was so intent on looking for a second magpie 'to break the bad luck' At this time of year most magpies have eggs or chicks in a nest so one magpie is on sitting duty whilst the partner finds food, I'm sure that this is the logical explanation. xx dave

Jean

Jean Report 25 May 2004 19:37

thats what it is just superstition, had them in our garden for years i, 2 3,4 at a time hasnt made our luck better or worse

Trish

Trish Report 25 May 2004 21:02

In my garden it's unlucky for the magpie to see me - I think they are bully boys and I always shoo them off.

Unknown

Unknown Report 25 May 2004 21:11

I only think of that verse because I grew up watching Magpie (children's tv programme to you youngsters!) and of course knew the whole song! Definitely coincidence - don't worry at all.

Sue in Sx

Sue in Sx Report 25 May 2004 22:09

Susan - I do Goodmorning Mr Magpie, salute and spit lol ! If you lived where we do you'd be like me, at it all day, the dash board in my car gets a little damp at times too ! Don't worry it's all an old wives tale, think it stems from the days when the old 'Maggies' were persecuted by the Gamekeepers and seeing one was a rarity. Sue ~:o)

Pumphrey

Pumphrey Report 25 May 2004 22:21

Yes me too! I always say, "Good morning Mr. Magpie, how's your wife?" I'm sure there's no truth in the supersition though. Pam

Lynn

Lynn Report 26 May 2004 00:28

Some years back my dad phoned me and said that he had a magpie in his garden that wouldn't go away. I duly went round there and sure enough there was the magpie sitting on his fence. I sided up to fence very slowly and the magpie held it ground. In a squeekey voice I said " good morning maggie ". Imagine my shock when it answered " good morning " It turned out that someone had hand reared it and he had learnt to talk. The only problem was he kept trying to peck at my toes as I was wearing flip flops and didn't want to be pecked by that large beak.Then after a couple of days he was no longer around and have never heard a magpie talk from that day to this Lynn

Unknown

Unknown Report 26 May 2004 10:30

There are LOADS of Magpie's in Milton Keynes, so never go too long without seeing a second

Flossie

Flossie Report 26 May 2004 10:33

I had a magpie fall down my chimney onto my fire and got its wings singed so it was bad luck for him. LOL