General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

i would like to share this withyou all to give you

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

sandra rogers

sandra rogers Report 28 May 2004 21:35

when i was 6 my dad died(he was 30)1yr later my mam remarried and all photos of my dad had to be got rid of my stepfathers instrutions .When i asked my mam about my dad she knew very little (she was not as noisey as me)all i knew was ha was brought up in a childrens home in bolton.This time last year when we bought this computerand the fact my dad had been dead 50yrsi felt i should try and find things out.I went in our local archives told a kind lady what i knew she rang me up and told me to come down .She showed me a workhouse addmissions book and there was my dad he was put in by his dad when he was 2(1925)and then found out he was in the cottage homes till he joined the navy(merchant).I went on the pro gov site to ask what they had on my dad as i wanted anythingit cost me £10 and 2 days before xmas i received copy of his fingerprints tattoos he had ships he sailed on in ww2 and a PHOTO i have had it enlarged and it now sits on my wall.Just wished my mam was alive she died 21yrs ago but i am a happy bunny byeeeeeeeeee

susie manterfield(high wycombe)

susie manterfield(high wycombe) Report 28 May 2004 21:38

sandra what a wonderful story you must be so happy susie

Pinkie

Pinkie Report 28 May 2004 21:41

sandra what great things to have espessialy the photo well done you tina xxxx

John

John Report 28 May 2004 21:43

lump in the throat story. good luck, must go my glasses are leaking lol.

Ann

Ann Report 28 May 2004 21:48

Oh Sandra, how wonderful for you, it certainly is a lump-in-the-throat story. I am so happy for you. It's so lovely to hear a story with a happy ending. Ann x x

sandra rogers

sandra rogers Report 28 May 2004 22:18

Hiya all thanks for your replys good luck to you all byeeee sandra

Unknown

Unknown Report 28 May 2004 22:35

Sandra - thats amazing, lump in the throat here as well. To have a photograph as well:o)) Jude

Unknown

Unknown Report 28 May 2004 22:38

Hi Sandra I told you everyone would be interested to hear your story!! What a wonderful piece of family history. Love Mandy :)

Heather

Heather Report 28 May 2004 23:19

Sandra That is wonderful, I'm so pleased for you. Heather

Sue in Sx

Sue in Sx Report 28 May 2004 23:37

It's lovely to hear success stories such as yours, I am so pleased for you. Sue ~:o)

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 29 May 2004 02:56

For 25 years I thought the only pictures of my dad's parents were my parents' two wedding photos. However, my aunt visited from Canada last month and brought several photos of not only my dad's father, but his parents as well, AND possibly my brickwall ancestor! Did you spend ages looking at your dad's photo? I know I did, trying to absorb every feature of every relative. Congratulations on all that you received. It's so nice to hear of a success story!

Sandra

Sandra Report 29 May 2004 08:21

Sandra how lovely for you, to find all the information and bring your dad to life, remember he is always with you in spirit, and your life is part of him and your mum take care sandra

Iz

Iz Report 29 May 2004 09:36

That is so lovely! Isobel

Maureen

Maureen Report 29 May 2004 21:54

What a wonderful story. Sometimes it pays to be nosey. Well done. Maureen xx

Tracey

Tracey Report 29 May 2004 21:57

like the old saying, "it comes to those who wait", well done, lets hope many read this and are inspired.

*****me*****

*****me***** Report 29 May 2004 22:10

what a lovely story sandra,so pleased for you. i have a photo of my dad on my coffee table,he died when i was 14,he had lung cancer and a brain tumer they did'nt know much about it in those days(39 yrs ago) i was told what he had and he had 6 months to live,(he lived just 6 months) but you don't expect your dad to die at that age do you,he bought me my first camara the last christmas he was alive,it cost £2!!! and i still have it,i would'nt part with it,it was the last thing he bought me and it's priceless. i also have a photo of my nan on the table(dads mum)she died when i was 18,i was very close to her she also had a brain tumer. so treasure your photos like i do. goodluck, chris.

sandra rogers

sandra rogers Report 31 May 2004 22:31

Hiya thanks to you all for your replys take care sandraxx