General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Mary May's Wedding Dress

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

bridan

bridan Report 29 May 2004 01:35

Mary May Griffiths. Decisions, decisions, It was now late on a beautiful summer evening in Cannock. We had achieved more than we had expected. Not only had we obtained the wedding certificate of Mary May’s marriage but had also by an amazing stroke of luck found the last owner of their house “The Limes” Sadly, the house was demolished in 1970 but at least we had seen a painting of what it had looked like. Should we return home and come back again? We decided to find a B+B and get an early start the following day. Aidan and I had a good laugh the next morning while sat in the dining room having breakfast! Glancing at our table as she passed the waitress called out to the kitchen in a very loud voice,” More toast for the old couple at table nine” What shall we do next? We know from the scrapbook Mary’s husband had some sort of hardware shop. We hazard a guess it would be long gone, would anyone remember it? I suggest we go sit in the square, look out for the oldest person we can find, approach them and ask politely would they remember a hardware shop called Clarks and where was it situated. Aidan was not too keen to do this but I pointed out it was the only way we were going to find anything out. I have always found people are only too willing to help if they can and indeed love to talk about things past. In the telling of Mary May’s story people have remarked on the amazing strokes of luck we have encountered along the way and, as has been suggested, I think she was indeed guiding us along the right path. The very first old couple we stopped and asked, “Would you remember a hardware store called Clark’s around this area?” They looked at each other puzzled and trying to remember. They shake their head, no, sorry my dears, the only store we know of that name was Clarke’s Department Store. We now look at each other puzzled! The lady goes on to tell of her delight when as a small child her mother would take her to “The Emporium” shopping. She described walking along (in her child’s eyes) miles of polished wooden floors, the smell of floor polish, a shop she said where you could buy anything. Of course she said, the shop is no more, it closed in 1982/3. We talk some more until the hurry off to catch their bus. Are we on the wrong track altogether? The Town library is our next stop, we explain what we are looking for and the staff is really helpful and point us to the business section. We find out the following information. Clarks was the first department Store in Cannock. It was one of the oldest businesses in the district. It was established in 1878 by a Mr. D.W.Clarke in Church St and later moved to Market Place. From pictures we see the shop almost commands a whole block and looks very imposing. As with many old established businesses, manufacturing and selling were combined. The old warehouses were used for the manufacture of tallow candles, which were used in quantity by the local mining industry. The business developed and the developments of local industry necessitated the employment of a tinsmith for the manufacture of Shuky lamps, powder boxes, oil bottles and miners water bottles. At a later stage in development, furniture was actually manufactured on the premises and cabinet makers, French polishers and upholsterers were employed in the making of bedroom, dining room and kitchen furniture. For its day and age, the shop premises then were large, in the best concepts of the Victorian emporium, having departments for furniture, hardware, and ironmongery, mangles, perambulators and bicycles were something of a speciality even in those days. As was common practice at the turn of the century, the shop assistants “lived in” on the premises and the bedroom accommodation was quite extensive, comprising nine in all. We spend many fascinating hours going over the “Retail Trades” papers. For a short time we are carried away to a bygone age, Aidan looking at pictures of old buildings, while I am drawn to the fashions of the day. Early pictures show lady shop assistants wearing long ankle length black skirts and black shirtwaist blouses covered by long white aprons and a type of sleeve protector. Suddenly, a name jumps out of a report, Ingram Clarke! Son of the stores founder D.W.Clarke. We have at last found the connection, this of course was Mary’s husband!. We delved further and found so many reports on the couple and there activities in the Town it would fill a book. A report under “Local Weddings” gave details of the wedding. The brides dress is described as follows. The bride wore a charming princess gown of pale grey satin charmeuse, with an overdress of ninon de soie, the bodice of which was handsomely embroidered with silver passementerie and lace and a becoming picture hat to match. She carried a shower bouquet of lilies of the valley and white heather, the gift of the bridegroom. Don’t you just love that description? It seems a million years ago! We decide to walk to the site where they told us the shop had stood. By a strange coincidence, we are almost back at St. Luke’s Church where they had married. We stand and gaze at the site where once stood “Clark’s Emporium”, for a brief moment I take the place of the little girl holding mummy’s hand and about to enter the store of “miles of polished floor” The excitement she must have felt is almost palatable, what treasures lay beyond those doors? For her and all the other children who entered this great store feeling so excited, would they leave clutching a new doll or a bicycle perhaps? How many times had our own Mary May walked this footpath on her way to meet her beloved Ingram. If I close my eyes for a moment, like a child I can pretend. How wonderful is imagination, before me I see the wonderful store I have carried with me from the library pictures. I smell the beeswax, the rubber from pram wheels and bicycle tyres the sawdust from the furniture making. An impatient motorist honking his horn brings me back to the present. My magical picture has gone, blown away by time and progress. I feel I have walked down a long corridor full of doors. Each door I have opened has given me an insight into the life of a lady I never knew or met but one who I have come to admire for her strength, kindness, and tenacity. How sad, when I opened my last door I was faced with a picture of a Bank, Iceland, W.H. Smith and other small shops where once had stood Cannock’s first Department Store. I walk away feeling dejected and sad but ready to sally forth and find out more about the sweet young girl known as “Mary May Griffiths, The Royal Butter Maker.” Love, Bridget

Chris

Chris Report 29 May 2004 05:21

Thanks Bridgett, That was wonderful. I have hopes one day of standing where my ancestors lived and doing just what you did. Close my eyes and just imagine. I believe the place in Scotland where my husband's Munros came from still exists so that would be good to see. Thanks for sharing, Christine

Unknown

Unknown Report 29 May 2004 07:59

Bridget - its wonderful - you have put 'flesh' on the bones of a name long gone and brought them to life.

Sandra

Sandra Report 29 May 2004 08:12

BRIDGET that is wonderful, i so enjoyed reading it, i felt as if i was there!! sandra

Ann

Ann Report 29 May 2004 08:45

Hi Bridget, What a beautiful story, I really enjoyed reading it. I also felt like I was there. Ann x x

Foxyfeline

Foxyfeline Report 29 May 2004 09:09

Absolutely brilliant Bridget, I have so enjoyed reading your stories about Mary May. I hope you are going to put your experiences in a book, it would make fascinating reading. You write a wonderful story, like others have said, you can imagine yourself there. Many thanks for this Lisa xx

Elisabeth

Elisabeth Report 29 May 2004 09:24

Bridget, Thank you for that wonderful description. I can picture everything you are writing. I sometimes get annoyed at the quest for getting back to early times, for me the greatest joy is to put some flesh on the bones of the story of our family's life. It brings them all into focus, as real people, with their space in history, however humble. Best wishes for your continued success. Love, Elisabeth xx

Lindy

Lindy Report 29 May 2004 09:36

Hi Bridget, Fantastic! I hope you enjoyed your holiday? Look forward to hearing more about Mary May Lindy;-)

Rebecca

Rebecca Report 29 May 2004 09:59

Hi Bridget, Hope you had a good holiday. It`s great to have you back, I`ve missed your Mary May instalments, but this was really worth the wait! Rebecca

MaggyfromWestYorkshire

MaggyfromWestYorkshire Report 29 May 2004 10:44

What a lovely story Bridget, really made the hairs stand on end and brought a tear to the eye. This kind of story reminds us what we are all doing our family tree for. Don't have any stories like this about my ancestors yet, but I live in hope! Maggy

Unknown

Unknown Report 29 May 2004 10:56

Bridget, what a lovely descriptive piece of writing,I really enjoy this sort of thread. You cannot help but take Mary to your heart. Thank you, for the enjoyment and simple beauty of this story which is part of your family history. Terri XX

Helen1959

Helen1959 Report 29 May 2004 11:04

Hi Bridget, Thank you for the lovely thread you have put on, I read this one and then put in Mary May on the search engine and found 2 others with her name in the title, are the any other thread that tell your story. Please consider putting it all together into a book as it is suh a fasinating tale. Not being ignorant but what relation is Mary May to you. Aidan must be a lovely hubby to share your interest. Take care and I can't wait for the next instalment. Helen

***Julie*Ann***.sprinkling fairydust***

***Julie*Ann***.sprinkling fairydust*** Report 29 May 2004 13:51

thats a lovely thread,you could imagine mary in that dress, it sounded so expensive for the era. if i could find out the life of my g grandmother like that i would be so pleased.

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 29 May 2004 14:29

Brilliant again Bridget! I was transported back there myself. Jeanette