General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Intensive Driving Courses - anyone passed using th

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lynda

Lynda Report 29 May 2004 16:54

Now I'm on my own, I really feel it's about time I learnt to drive. There are so many days now where I think If I had a car I could do so much more. I have bought some books and a cd on the theory and hazard tests. I have tossed up between ordinary driving lessons, or booking an intensive course, which I think I'd prefer (get it all over with in one go!!) Would be really interested to hear of anyone who's tried them with positive results, and any particuar courses worth a mention. Thanks Lynda

Sandra

Sandra Report 29 May 2004 17:34

Linda i've known a couple of people do it this way, go for it i have never looked back, in 23yrs, [except in the mirror] lol you can jump in the car whenever you want and drive,to your hearts content, so book the course and watch out world, linda's finding her freedom on the open road, to explore. good luck keep us updated sandra

Lynda

Lynda Report 29 May 2004 18:00

Thanks Donna and Sandra, also for the encouragement!! Sandra your so right, I think it's the thought of just being able to climb into a car and go to places like Homebase or a lovely garden centre. The restriction has done it for me. Yes I'll keep you posted, will concentrate on the theory side first!! Lynda

Sandra

Sandra Report 29 May 2004 18:04

Linda you can practise the theory test on line , it gives you results, and you'll be surprised how much you know already.and you have to pass your theory before you can take the car test in case you didn't know sandra

Lynda

Lynda Report 29 May 2004 18:30

Sandra Yes I did realise that I would need the theory part first, I bought a CD as well from WHS today and have just loaded it. It'll be interesting to see how much I know!!!!! Lynda xx

Steph

Steph Report 29 May 2004 18:42

Lynda, my sister passed in less than two weeks, (before the theory test!). I warn you though, as on person who only got her first car two years ago, that driving is addictive! I use to be so fit, walking everywhere, now I only walk down the road to drop little 'un of at school!!!!! Steph ;-))))

Foxyfeline

Foxyfeline Report 29 May 2004 19:38

Hi Lynda I took 2 tests the normal way and failed. I then, some years later took an intensive course over a month. I was booked in for my test straight away, so there was no going back! I had two hour blocks of lessons, first a couple of times a week, then three times, then the last week I had lessons every day. It was expensive, but it worked and I passed. I was one of the first to take the written test (1996), and my driving instructor booked me in for it. I took the practical test the next day, and passed. I have never looked back, best thing I ever did. I think I just needed the incentive of a goal to work towards, I knew I had to learn properly in a month. I remember one lesson just going round and round roundabouts till I had it right, and the same with the revearsing etc. It really worked for me, and I would recommend it to anyone. Go for it !!!!!!!! Lisa xx

John

John Report 29 May 2004 20:00

Hello Lynda, Like Lisa, I did the normal weekly lessons and failed twice. Seven years later (1993), I took an intensive course with a local firm and PASSED! He was a good instructor, giving me plenty of techniques to drive and not just pass. I spent four mornings with him and then took the test on the fifth. I hope it goes well for you too!

Lynda

Lynda Report 29 May 2004 20:04

Thanks to you all for your replys, and for the positive feedback!! I shall definately go for it and hope I do as well as you all did!! Many thanks Lynda

Ann

Ann Report 30 May 2004 00:03

Hi Linda, Go for it, I did an intensive course over two weeks, it was really hard going driving for two, three, four and even five hours a day, but you get to know your instructor much more quickly and feel more relaxed than having an hour lesson once a week forever!! I passed first time (to the shock of my husband who was convinced I'd fail)!!Would you believe that he thought I was having him on when I phoned him to tell him the good news!! I think the cost was about £360, three years ago, so not that expensive really. I'd definately recommend it. Good Luck, think positive and you can do it. Ann x x

Lynda

Lynda Report 30 May 2004 08:43

Hi Ann Many thanks. I agree about the hour for a driving lesson, couldn't settle into that, don't think it's long enough. That's why I was interested to hear how others got on with about 4 or 5 in one go. I am very spurred on by your success!!!! I had a crack at the first set of questions in the handbook (no cheating!!) and got 27 out of 31. So will forge ahead with the first stage. Lynda

Ann

Ann Report 30 May 2004 23:22

Hi again Lynda, (sorry I spelt your name wrong last time). I studied really hard for my theory test and scored 34 out of 35 which I was over the moon with. I was given 40 minutes to complete the test and had finished it in 20!! It wasn't really that difficult - a lot of it is common sense. Some people don't really bother to study for the theory test much, but the way I looked at it was that I only wanted to go through it once so I really put my mind to it and studied the book every afternoon until I was quite sure I could do it. It worked and I only had to pay once!!! Good Luck and please keep us up to date on how you are progressing. Ann x x

Unknown

Unknown Report 31 May 2004 11:04

Hi Lynda, My hubby is a driving instructor and does a lot of intensive training courses. One of the things that really annoys him, is people who turn up with no experience whatsoever of sitting in a car and expect to learn and pass a test in 3 days. Of course, everybody is different and some may learn in 3 days but not everybody does. I just wanted to suggest that if you do decide to do an intensive course, you should look carefully at the guidelines given. They should give you an idea, such as if you already have 10 driving hours experience say, then it should recommend how many days lessons you need. I hope this helps, as he gets a lot of people turning up and then they get annoyed with him, if after 3 days, he feels they may not be ready to take the test. He feels some people pay for the course they can afford, rather than what they really need. He would rather not take someone on test if he feels they are not very safe, rather than give them the chance to use it as a learning curve. Take your time choosing a course and make sure you feel you can cope with it. It may be worth paying that little bit extra if you are going to get more out of it. I don't drive myself, (ha ha) but these are some of his thoughts as a Driving Instructor and thought it may help!! Good Luck whatever you decide to do!! Sarah

Lynda

Lynda Report 31 May 2004 18:50

Ann Don't worry about the name spelling!! Thank you, I bought the CD with the Theory and Hazard Q and A and the trial tests, also have the book which I am studying. Was quite surprised at how much I knew, as you say a fair bit of it is common sense. I started off with 70% so I was well pleased with. It's just as important to me not just knowing the answers but all that's behind them, so will keep on learning. Sarah Thanks for the advice, I have had lessons in the past, but didn't go on to take the test. Really silly. I couldn't imagine I would feel happy after 3 days tuition, so I can imagine your husband would have felt somewhat annoyed at others who did, and were not! I would be more than prepared to spend more and have sufficient lessons in order that both myself and the instructor would feel confident in my taking the test. I will definately look very carefully at which course I decide to go on. Would have thought that the AA or RAC should perhaps be able to recomend one. Thanks again Lynda