General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

A Letter From Mary May

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

bridan

bridan Report 30 May 2004 15:58

ALetters From The Royal Dairy. The following is one of the letters sent by Mary May to her parents back home in Wales. The letters were rediscovered in, I think about 1960 and reprinted in The Farmers Weekly “The Royal Dairy” Monday morning (Oct 1897) Dear Mother and Father, Ifeel sure you will be glad to know about half-an-hour ago Her Majesty commanded Mr. Forbes (the factor at Balmoral) to come here and present me with a lovely silver medal in a beautiful case. I have it on now. I can’t tell you how proud I am of it. But fancy, I was only entitled to a bronze one, only those who have been here ten years or more having had silver ones. However, I think I can account for it in this way. Her Majesty has thoroughly appreciated my services as is plainly seen and known here. But yesterday was little Princess Ena of Battenburg’s birthday and on Saturday evening I spent all my time making fancy butter, both fancy and pretty for Her Highness’s birthday. Young squirrels sitting up and holding in their front paws a wee white card, on which I had written “Birthday wishes” and other little mottoes. They were suspended from their paws by a cord of gold tinsel. They did look so pretty and caused quite a commotion through the Castle, it seems. We are getting lovely weather now. I haven’t been real well, terrific headaches. I think caused by excitement and rush day after day. The Court leaves on the 12th November, but it will seem very lonely then. Can you believe that next Thursday will be a year since I left home? On the whole it has passed quickly after a bad and very miserable beginning. (Mary was homesick) I hope I shall be able to stand the winter again and it wont be so bad afterwards. I told Mr. Forbes this morning I shall fall down with excitement. He smiled and said “Well you may, It is a silver one too” I never expected any such thing. Oh, mother, I am glad and so proud of it. Lots of fondest love to all. How I should love to see you. I was awfully homesick a few a few days last week. Can’t help it sometimes. Should like if you could send me a fowl this week if time permits. If not, never mind. Your Loving daughter. May. This is an extract from one of seven surviving letters written home to her parents in Wales. I was informed 13 letters had existed, but sadly some were lost. Can you imagine my husband Aidan’s joy and delight when we found a reference to his father in one of the surviving letters? Aidan’s father would have been a very small boy then. Love Bridget x

Sandra

Sandra Report 30 May 2004 16:08

Bridget its as if she saying it when you read it, i got goosebumps, her mother must have treasured her letters., from her daughter. sandra

Sue In Oz

Sue In Oz Report 30 May 2004 16:10

Bridget, It was so lovely to read another letter.Keep them coming. Sue

Unknown

Unknown Report 30 May 2004 16:35

Dear Bridget, How fascinating to be given a peep into the household of Queen Victoria through Mary's letters home. Yes I can imagine the tingle of excitement your Aidan felt on finding a mention to his father in one of them. Your treasure is becoming each members delight, as we read the accounts of Mary's daily life. Thank you for the very entertaining thread. Bridget, you should be sending your work about Mary to a publisher. You must be on a winner, the writing is so good, it reads easily and comfortably. Mary wants you to tellher story ,dont you think? I certainly want to read it. Best wishes Terri xx

Helen1959

Helen1959 Report 30 May 2004 19:19

Hi Bridget, Thanks for the latest instalment, Please,please keep wriing about Mary May, I and others are throughlt absorbed by your story. Can't wait for the next one. Helen

Auntie Peanut

Auntie Peanut Report 30 May 2004 22:08

I can 'see' those little squirrels made in butter with the the little white cards around their necks. How proud Mary May's parents must have been to have a daughter who actually 'hobnobbed' with the Queen. It's no wonder Bridget that you can't let Mary May go. Thank you for more sharing. Hugs Norah

Christine2

Christine2 Report 30 May 2004 22:53

I read what I assume to be the first one yesterday and now another lovely one - I haven't missed any have I. I shall be frightened to miss a day looking at GC in case I miss a Mary May story. More please. Chris

Rebecca

Rebecca Report 31 May 2004 08:23

Bridget, You and Mary May have done it again, wonderful!! Rebecca