General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

All our fish gone

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julia

Julia Report 31 May 2004 08:21

About 8 years ago our adult fish bred in our pond and we had 27 beautiful gold fish they had grown to a good 6"in length. Can you imagine how devastated we felt this morning to find the pond empty. It could only have been a Heron to clear it out like that. I feel very low at the moment as also waiting to hear from the vet about our beloved KOYLI, Yesterdays thread. Will keep you dear friends up dated on that one. Julia

kylie from perth in oz

kylie from perth in oz Report 31 May 2004 08:23

sorry about you fish nature is so cruel sometimes isnt it

Sandra

Sandra Report 31 May 2004 08:26

Hi Julia your not having a very good time this weekewnd are you, it probably was a heron, i lost alot one year when i had a pond,after that i used to have a fine mesh across the top, i don't have a pond now where i live, i do hope doggy is a bit brighter this morning, try not to be too down, i know its hard, take care sandra

Dave the Tyke

Dave the Tyke Report 31 May 2004 09:54

Hi Julia, I was having trouble with a heron and I didn't want to spoil the effect of the pond with mesh so I built a trellis gazebo thingy which deters the herons, they like pleanty of room to take off xxDave

Babilula

Babilula Report 31 May 2004 10:19

We have had the same trouble, but it's true the fish do hide. We have never lost all of them. A string about 12" high around the edge stops them from landing, and isn't too unsightly. We have put some pots around ours and a pole bird feeder, which seems to have done the trick, as the heron doesn't seem to be able to land now. Well just look at the size of that wingspan! Our heron has visited us a few times, so he is still around. I enjoy seeing him, so long as he can't get the fish! How easy it is to protect your pond probably depends how large is is. Ours is quite a small affair. Best of luck

Colin

Colin Report 2 Jun 2004 21:26

I live a mile along the flight path from a heronry run by the famous Phil Drabble ( one man and his dog prog on TV) Ive been cleaned out in the past but now cover the pond with a wooden frame and a fine mesh.All of the info given in other replies is of value,take your pick.Fish can disappear into the darker regions of your pond and not be seen for days or even weeks.I replaced all of my stock after the last attack as ,after 10 days ,I had not seen any sign of my fish.Then suddenly all of them reappeared over the space of two days. So dont give up hope yet . Let us know in two weeks or so if any have reappeared.

Fairy

Fairy Report 2 Jun 2004 21:32

Julia, I know it's a bit late now, but my friend next door was losing her fish for the same reason. We tied a few CD disks to sticks round the pond and the problem seems to have stopped as herons apparently don't like flashing lights. Jo.

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 2 Jun 2004 21:41

Julia: I don't know anything about fish, but from what others are saying, perhaps yours will reappear after a bit. Keeping my fingers crossed, too.

*****me*****

*****me***** Report 2 Jun 2004 22:01

same thing happened to a neighbour of mine,but they say rats ate them! chris.

Foxyfeline

Foxyfeline Report 2 Jun 2004 22:11

Oh Julia, I do feel for you, I do hope they are just hiding. My mother in law puts fishing line around her pond, and that deters the herons, that seems to be a popular thing over here, and you can't really see it until you get close. I hope all comes out ok for you Lisa xx

Brenda

Brenda Report 3 Jun 2004 01:12

Hi Julia,what a terrible thing to happen ,we have also lost fish to a heron,Koi as well as goldfish.It seems they will get the fish no matter what you do,so don't blame yourself.I know you do get attached to the fish,and they are exspenive to replace ,but at the moment I think you have enougth to cope with your beloved dog,who I hope is doing ok. brenda

Julia

Julia Report 3 Jun 2004 13:16

Hello Friends. All the fish have definately gone. We wasn't going to restock but the birds love the cascade for bathing, so were going to put some wire across the main pond. It's not a very big pond but we also have a plastic Heron, so that didn't work for us. Will just get a few tiddlers to start with. Thanks for all the advice Julia