General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

cowkeepers of old Liverpool

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Carolyn

Carolyn Report 3 Jun 2004 21:47

Does anyone have any information on the cowkeepers of old Liverpool or know where I can look for any? My grandmother was one and I'd love to find out more. Carolyn Thanks to Marilyn,Valerie and Judith for their information Carolyn

Irene

Irene Report 29 Jun 2004 04:18

Hello, I was interested in your query, cowkeepers were not unusual to find in any city. I can remember our own in Liverpool in Edge Hill were I was brought up, and he never let us down with a supply of milk, his name was Ernie Hudson and his dairy was at the other end of our street. Lovat Street,and he kept two cows. As a child I can remember going for the milk from him, and now as I am older I have to wonder how he managed to keep up the supply throughout the war years, the other thing that amazes me was the pristine cleanliness of his shop, everthing was scrubbed and bleached including him, no smell of cows, only the sounds (and there wasnt any tape recorders then),he was a larger than life gentleman with a heavy moustache and always wore a blue and white apron and collarless shirts. . By the way if you think cow keepers was a funny occupation you want to start searching for accumaletor men , these were the people who topped up the glass accumaletors with acid this combined with a battery made your radio work, another weekly job and it cost sixpence in old money, thanks for stirring a memory.

Bren from Oldham

Bren from Oldham Report 29 Jun 2004 16:28

My husbands grandfather was b in West Derby Liverpool and his family were cowkeeprs they had originally come from Dent in the Yorkshire dales they went back to Dent to farm The family name was Oversby Bren