General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Part 2 Mary May and the Little Princess

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

bridan

bridan Report 4 Jun 2004 17:14

The lady said, on leaving: “ You will hear more of this, I expect Miss Griffiths, for her Majesty had a graphic description of all, and roared laughing at the way the Princess imitated you opening the mounds”. Will you do the Grand Duchess a favour at Christmas, and that is to make some of your pretty butter and address it to the little princess yourself with your card enclosed”? The Grand Duke and Duchess will be so amused to see her open it, and we shall then see if she remembers you. She gave me the correct address for Darmstadt. The frame is Russian leather, cardinal and white, which, the lady said, are the Hessian colours. All the “wee Royals” make friends with me. Isn’t it funny?” After the Court leaves I will send the photograph home without the frame in case it gets broken, and I am sure you will all fall in love with the little pet at first sight. Dr. Woods was here yesterday. The couch came on Friday from Allen and Co. Aberdeen, a beauty, all springs and blocks to make the feet four or five inches higher. Dr. Woods gave the order to Mr. Forbes (Factor) and instructed the head upholsterer. I had to lie flat on it yesterday and the Dr. laced on the stocking. It fits beautifully, but of course draws a little yet, being new. He sent lotion, which is poison and has to be mixed with water and lint saturated in it and put to the part of the joint where the most pain is. Thus, my leg, from ankle to knee is bandaged with such a lovely a soft bandage. He says if I persevere I may get rid of it entirely. He is so kind and such a thorough gentleman. He looked this afternoon to see how I was getting on. Luckily, I was lying down when he walked in. or he would have pitched into me. I sent to Sal (a sister) for suspenders and thought they would have come today, but she evidently forgot them. He seemed a little put out that I still had garters. There is opium in this lotion. It eases the pain wonderfully. After I leave off the bandage he says he would like me to always wear elastic stocking (a black one) instead of an ordinary one, as my leg was week, but no danger he said. Then, about cycling, he said no doctor could tell me what to do as I shall know if I try a little. He said, theoretically speaking, it does well but no one knows as well as the sufferer. He said I could try if I liked and if my knee swelled and pained more to leave it alone. So, now I am quite undecided weather to get my bicycle up or sell it in London. If I fail to ride it the carriage money on it will be thrown away. Please let me know what you all think would be best for me to do. And I shall be willing to do as you wish. I think I have a chance of selling it in London already. Dr. Woods has a picture of the little Princess but no frame; said he is beginning to get jealous of me. Mr Anderson made me a press for cream cheese after my own instructions and it is by far the most compact and pretties little thing we have had in the dairy and works admirably. It seems H.M. enjoys the cream cheese as never before; thinks I improve every time. Mr Forbes, suggested a high stool for me to sit on making butter, and Mr. Anderson is making it; also a garden seat to put out under the trees. Now, I think I have given you a regular epistle, but it is as good as talking and I have not been long writing it. Fondest love to all, Hope Aunt Martha is well. Your loving daughter, May. v

Helen1959

Helen1959 Report 6 Jun 2004 00:15

Thanks Bridget, I couldn't get on here on Friday night as it wouldn't let me view anything , so I missed reading your story last night. Looking forward to next installment. Helen