General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Are you digging up your trees and taking them with

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Angela

Angela Report 4 Jun 2004 18:18

I'm interested in what people who are leaving the site are doing about their trees. Are you deleting them or leaving them? After all, GC is only a good site because of all the information we have put into it. If I'm not using the site, I am not sure GC should have my information either. What do others think? Angela :')

Sandra

Sandra Report 4 Jun 2004 20:13

Hi i am on several different sites with my tree, and mine will be staying i use all the different sites so i have more chances of connections sandra

Angela

Angela Report 4 Jun 2004 20:21

Thanks for your thoughts. I do feel that if/when people leave GC they should consider carefully whether to leave their trees or not as there is an issue of ownership of the information and its value. But now that Steve Pankhurst has posted on the site and - I think - has been helpfully frank with us about his views on what has happened, and the various problems we have all experienced, I think it would be fair to give him and his colleagues an opportunity to show us that they do have members' - as well as potential members' - interests at heart by listening to us. What's done cannot be undone but it can be learned from so I will personally defer my decision on whether to continue to use the site, and continue to leave my tree on the site, until I have seen whether it is in fact learned from. I would encourage people to look at Steve's posting and comment - constructively - on it. This is the opportunity to influence GC we have been asking for, let's not waste it. Angela :)

Angela

Angela Report 4 Jun 2004 20:39

Lynda, crumbs, I'm glad you think I've made some sense. I'm afraid I've just spent a hard couple of days at work trying to get people with opposing views to meet in the middle and so I've gone into arbitration mode!!! I'm not trying to preach -honest - I just want to inject some sanity into the proceedings. On your comment about value I was thinking of value in its broadest sense - ie value as a research tool for ourselves, a source for others to share, and as historic reference in the future. But monetary value does come into it as well. There are sites out there that allow you to post your trees for free, but then claim the "right" to sell what you post in the form of family tree cds. GC does not do this, but discovering that this goes on has made me cautious about where I post information that I have worked long and hard to assemble and indeed had to spend good money in gaining. It's not that I don't want to share - just that I feel that my information should be shared for good reasons and not for monetary gain). Angela :-)

Angela

Angela Report 4 Jun 2004 21:32

Hi Lynda, I agree. The right reasons to share trees are to increase knowledge and understanding, and to help others for no other reason than because they need help. I personally think that the wrong reason to share a tree is to make money. To make money from selling someone else's tree is hugely wrong, as is taking and using someone else's tree without acknowledging the source of the information. Not just wrong but unhelpful as information, without a quoted source, cannot be trusted. Angela

Angela

Angela Report 4 Jun 2004 22:38

Hi Jude Don't get sensitive - you have a good point, and a right to express it just like anyone else. Things have been getting a bit silly round here but we should all feel free to express our opinions in a civilised way without being shouted down. For my part, I think yes I think I would like to have some say in who gets my information - I don't want to sell it or make money out of it but be sure it is being used for the right reasons. That is why on this site and elsewhere I only provide enough information to allow people to confirm links or otherwise - not the whole kit and caboodle! If I establish a mutually helpful relationship with someone I trust on site (as I have done), then I will share more and receive in return. But my golden rule is never to share identifying information about living relatives without their permission/knowledge. Anyway I've done enough setting of the world to rights for one day so I'm off to bed. Night! Angela

Julia

Julia Report 7 Jun 2004 20:05

my family tree is my kids legacy as well as the odd quid i dont spend its great i might have to 1614 in three weeks of trying. my uncle spent years trying to research lol to the internet.. julia warrener 12/5/52 x nottingham uk