General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

do i or dont i

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Samantha

Samantha Report 5 Jun 2004 22:52

i have been searching for my father,through genes connected and other sources i now have an address...im too level headed to get my hopes up just yet but something is holding me back from writing to this address...could it b fear of rejection ...wot do you think...wot would you do..b nice to hear an outsiders point of view....any one had the same situation?

Unknown

Unknown Report 5 Jun 2004 22:58

Hi Samantha Very delicate situation this one, and one I've been through myself. If you write to him, you need to word the letter vaguely enough so that anyone else opening the letter (by mistake or purposely!) wouldn't know that he has a daughter. He may well have a new family who don't know about your existence. Of course, this doesn't necessarily mean that he won't be pleased to hear from you, and his family may well be looking for you too! But if you suffer a rejection, it's hugely emotional and I really would advise you having some support in place just in case the worst happens. I'm not 'trained' but have experienced both acceptance and rejection, and wouldn't wish the rejection on my worst enemy so to speak! If you are interested, email me direct and I will send you a copy of a letter that was written on my behalf to a member of my birth family (by a trained intermediary). Good luck in whatever you decide, best wishes Mandy :)

Philip

Philip Report 6 Jun 2004 13:07

Hello Samantha, Very delicate, as everyone has said. I knew someone who'd been adopted at birth and tried to contact her natural birth mother many years later, but was soundly rebuffed. Don't want to put you off, others have great success stories. Perhaps one approach might be a letter "seeking" info, but not revealing your relationship identity at this stage? A softly softlt approach... Good luck whichever way you decide to go! Philip

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 6 Jun 2004 13:13

Samantha, go with Mandy's advice as she has been there and had help. Her letter may help you know what to write. take care Love Ann Glos

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Jun 2004 21:59

Hi Samantha I've emailed u :) David

Dave the Tyke

Dave the Tyke Report 7 Jun 2004 12:21

Hi Samantha, so have I xx Dave