General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ronald Reagan's legacy?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

John

John Report 6 Jun 2004 07:53

Further to Ray's thread, how will President Reagan be remembered in fifty years time? What did he do for America/ the world?

syljo

syljo Report 6 Jun 2004 20:12

Some may have laughed at him, but he did after all put an end to the Cold War. He was fortunate enough to have very good advisers, and being an ex-actor, was capable of remembering his lines well. The United States has lost a well-loved man. May he rest in peace - 93 years on this earth - takes some doing!

Margaret

Margaret Report 6 Jun 2004 20:26

Well I think he went through his Presidential term thinking everything was a great Hollywood Movie. Probably the worst president the US has ever had ( George W Bush excluded) I also think the Spitting Image potrayal of him was spot on Didnt rate him, no apologies to those who did, or Maggie Thatcher Margaret

Bob

Bob Report 6 Jun 2004 20:31

Margaret I wish you would stop beating around the Bush and say what you think....lol

Margaret

Margaret Report 6 Jun 2004 20:32

Thought I did Bob He was a T**t

Carol in Rochester, New York

Carol in Rochester, New York Report 6 Jun 2004 21:21

He will probably be remembered as the last Presidential peace-maker before George and Tony screwed it all up!

Crista

Crista Report 6 Jun 2004 21:26

I do find it very interesting observing this to see the differences between the Americans and the British. If it were Margaret Thatcher who had died, an American would have been nothing but respectful after her death. Margaret, I fear some people will find your comments offensive. Despite your political beliefs, please remember he was also a husband, father and grandfather and struggled with Alzheimer's for the last 10 years. Crista

John

John Report 6 Jun 2004 21:30

I've read how popular he was in USA. Is that right Crista?

Margaret

Margaret Report 6 Jun 2004 21:55

I stand by what I said before but will comment no more. Each to there own Margaret

Debi Coone

Debi Coone Report 6 Jun 2004 23:49

I'm in agreeance with Margaret from Burton on trent . He did sail through office as if it was one big hollywood movie. He made his politics up as he went along. He was almost funny to watch and listen too - almost. After all he was in power ( lordy lordy ) That spitting image puppet was dead on though - glad it's comming back : ) Arnie for next president do we think? lolololol Much happiness Debi oh & P.S yes I agree Margaret he was a T**T

Judy

Judy Report 7 Jun 2004 06:17

Crista....I couldn't agree with you more. I've refrained from taking part in the pettiness on these boards as of late and have limited what time I've spent here at the site because of it. The insulting comments here I do take offense to and find them most disrespectful. Shame on you who felt the need to be so mean.....it was SO uncalled for. Judy :- (

Tudor

Tudor Report 7 Jun 2004 07:05

Ronald Reagan did his best for the USA and for the world. Mikhail Gorbachev said that had it not been for Reagan Glasnost would never have happened. The world owes him a favour for that. And I agree with Crista's observation and that of Judy also. Whatever one's own political beliefs there is really no need to be nasty about him. Such sentiments have no place now, not in public anyway.

Crista

Crista Report 7 Jun 2004 07:36

Hi John, This article helps to explain a lot on how he was viewed. http://news.bbc*co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3780455.stm Saw some quotes where people said "He made you feel safe and secure regardless of whether you voted for him or not," Crista

John

John Report 7 Jun 2004 10:28

Thanks Crista. He had my type of politics. I wouldn't be rude about Bill Clinton, even though his morals and policies aren't mine!

Sarah

Sarah Report 7 Jun 2004 10:35

I'm sorry some people find the opinions on here offensive, but they are opinions and as such we all have the right to express them. Unfortunately here in the UK the farcical relationship between Reagan and Thatcher is one of the things that will be remembered (as per the thread title!). This isn't to say he wasn't a good father and husband, nor to detract from his illness, but at the end of the day we only knew his public persona, and as such that's all we can comment on. I do think it's a bit pathetic to stand by the 'don't speak ill of the dead' bs. Sarah

John

John Report 7 Jun 2004 11:54

I enjoy reading biographies. I've just finished reading two books on Captain Scott (of the Antartica fame). The books came to two opposite conclusions on the man. It was very interesting reading. Neither used base, vulgar words. A wide vocabulary WAS used to back up what the two authors said. Everyone IS entitled to their opinion, but let's use interesting words and not offensive ones! After all the word Margaret used (I think) is to do with a woman's private parts - what's that got to do with Ronald Reagan?!

syljo

syljo Report 7 Jun 2004 15:22

Thanks Di, Only you could put into words what I am thinking. Criticism is becoming the habit and giving praise seldom.

Julia

Julia Report 7 Jun 2004 19:45

but isnt politics made up of actors and actresses have you heard them on tv ba ba ba....anyone who had awoke from a coma after years of seeing reagan on tv as an actor. then suddenly saw him president after waking up., would have thought they were watching the oscar awards.... He was going to announce ufos had landed but got shut up as the story goes. well ron off on your big spaceship in the sky now theres a goodboy....

Claire in Lincs

Claire in Lincs Report 7 Jun 2004 21:36

How is Ronald Reagan a t***? Did you know him personally Margaret? No . of course you didnt, What a viscious and unkind thing to say about a dead person.