General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Page cannot be found - it's NOT the cookies or the

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Maggie in Leics

Maggie in Leics Report 7 Jun 2004 12:05

Since the name change on Sunday have had endless problems trying to access all parts of the genes site - SO many error messages it's beyond a joke!! It's NOT my cookies or temporary files - they've all been cleared out - and yet the problem persists. There seem to be SO many people having the problem that I think genes have to accept it's a problem with the site - hope they fix it soon!!!

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 7 Jun 2004 12:23

Hi Maggie Hope your well. I was having problems til I reached the site by using the new name. I know they said you would still be able to reach the site using the old name - well you can. But I was getting so many 'page cannot be found' messages. This seems to have sorted it out for me. Jeanette

Maggie in Leics

Maggie in Leics Report 7 Jun 2004 12:25

Thanks Jeanette, Will give that a go - tho even once I'd got into the site, getting around it was a real problem!! Maggie

Karen

Karen Report 7 Jun 2004 14:26

Hi Maggie , I had the same problem until I changed the address to www.genesreunited(.)com remove brackets. since then it has worked, it's worth a try. Karen : )

Judy

Judy Report 7 Jun 2004 14:59

I've posted this on a few other threads.....changing the settings below is definately one of the reasons some of the sites out there can't be reached.....(cookies and temp files should be empty as well.) Fixing “Website Can’t Be Found” and other Site Error Messages More than likely you have trouble with accessing quite a few sites.....particularly getting the message "website can't be found" among a few other error messages. Try the following and it should solve your problem. 1. Go to START. 2. Click on CONTROL PANEL. 3. Click on INTERNET OPTIONS. 4. Change NUMBER OF DAYS TO KEEP IN HISTORY to “0” and click APPLY 5. A box appears with tabs labeled across the top. Click on ADVANCED. 6. Scroll down to the sub-heading SECURITY. 7. Make sure the following has check marks next to it: Use USE SSL 2.0, USE SSL 3.0 and USE TLS 1.0. 8. Also make sure you check off EMPTY TEMPORARY INTERNET FILE WHEN BROWSER IS CLOSED.

Judy

Judy Report 7 Jun 2004 16:33

If changing settings didn't correct the problem I would have to say that it's a GC/GR thing.....the settings, though, do make a difference as far as accessing other sites. Judy :)

Sandra

Sandra Report 7 Jun 2004 17:50

I was having this problem till I right click on icon add to favourites funny I thought its still same problem then I cleaned my glasses and realised it had made a new icon for genesreunited but didnt erase the old genes connected silly me I was still using old url DOH! sandra

Penny

Penny Report 7 Jun 2004 20:06

Hello all, if you have bookmarked genes Connected into your favorites re-bookmark the new Genes Reuinited. When you next follow the link you will find that the old GC link is still there (dont follow it) instead there is a new link called Family Tree genealogy Ancestor Ancestry. If you follow this link and delete the old GC one you will find the problems stop. Anyhow they did for me. Hope this makes sense. Penny