General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

vidler

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gladys

Gladys Report 7 Jun 2004 12:45

was told by my father that his surname came from germany, when our sonwas hiring a kilt recently the kiltmaker also told him it was german so looked up german surnames and came across VOGLER which i wonder could be the origin of vidler?. my father originated from upper dicker in east sussex.

Geoff

Geoff Report 7 Jun 2004 13:02

Perhaps someone here would know http://genforum.genealogy.*com/vidler/ (remove *)

Martin Vidler

Martin Vidler Report 16 Jun 2004 08:33

There are several schools of thought, most of which point to France. A family of Vidlers that were wine merchants settled in surrey kent and sussex some of the family emigrated to the usa. Ticehurst, East Sussex is a particular stronghold. Vidler was at one time the 5th most common name in the area. OR... The earliest known descendant of the “Vidler’s can be dated back to a man named Honfroi Vis De Loup (Vis de Loup is bastard Latin for fox/wolf face), a French knight from Normandy, who under the command of William the conqueror, fought against the English in the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The earliest trace of our immediate family dates back to John Vidler in 1630, going back 12 generations. The name of Vidler (and its earlier versions Vidlar and Vitler) can be found in English parish registers in Sussex and Kent from their inception in the mid 1500’s. It is possible the family was established in the area prior to this.