General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Shawn Menza... South African Scam

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sue (Sylvia Z )

Sue (Sylvia Z ) Report 7 Jun 2004 19:00

Has anyone else received an e-mail from Shawn Menza, in the department of Minerals and Energy in South Africa, about releasing overdue contractors payments ? He says you could make 2.5 million US dollars!! Is there someone you can inform about this scam? Sue

Unknown

Unknown Report 7 Jun 2004 19:04

Sylvia - l think someone recently said they went to the police about a simular one - it would be a good idea to tell someone, don't know who other than the police!!! Good luck:0) Jude s.wales

Shan

Shan Report 7 Jun 2004 19:22

HI Sylvia, had about 10 different email's about the same thing one from the person u named. Take no notice from what i can make out if u read very carfully you have to pay out money then when it come's through they reimberse you plus with the 5 or 10 %. So basically you pay out and never receive Shan

badger

badger Report 7 Jun 2004 19:25

There have been a load of these scams in the past few months and this is a new one.I had someone send me an e/mail from africa last year offering a cut of the booty if i would let them use my bank account to hide a lot of money in.ALL this man wanted was my bank account details ,as if ,but someone a bit gullible could fall for it and get their account cleared out .this sort of carry on needs to be stopped and reporting it ,as you have done is a good start.Fred.

Minnehik

Minnehik Report 7 Jun 2004 20:34

This is a typical 419 scam. Do NOT reply. Go to www(.)scamorama(.)com. They list all the scams and places to complain. From one who nearly got caught - and I know of many people who lost everything by replying.

Sue (Sylvia Z )

Sue (Sylvia Z ) Report 8 Jun 2004 00:12

Thanks to Joan, William, Fred, Shan and Jude for your replies. I will have a look at that website. Sue