General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Viva Vexillologists!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

John

John Report 8 Jun 2004 09:25

There seems to be loads and loads of FLAGS in peoples' cars and houses for this footie tournament. It's good to have this sudden interest in flags, but why? It's never happened as much before or has it?

Unknown

Unknown Report 8 Jun 2004 09:30

I was in Co. Galway several years ago when there was a big sporting final - I was amazed at the flags everywhere then, but looking round the streets here in Yorkshire - the amount I saw then pales into insignificance - I think its lovely that people are focussing on something positive (the footie) and its all done with good humour - no nastiness :-)

Trish

Trish Report 8 Jun 2004 09:38

Don't know but wish I'd thought of the idea - I'd be worth a fortune now. :-))

Foxyfeline

Foxyfeline Report 8 Jun 2004 09:40

Hi John Over here, all you see is a sea of orange everywhere! People do their houses up, their gardens, cars, everything. All orange flags. I once saw a pub painted orange just for the occasion, I can only assume that they had to paint it white again when the tournament was over!! They do tend to go mad over the footie over here. My mum told me about the flags at home, she says they are on practically every car! I think it is lovely. Lisa xx

Unknown

Unknown Report 8 Jun 2004 10:18

John, I can't remember ever seeing so many flags! Cars and houses covered with them in this part of Somerset! Suppose they will stop the sun from fading the furniture ..... Mandy :)

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 8 Jun 2004 20:51

My son and daughter have learnt the flags of all the Euro 2004 countries from their sticker book. They have even 'made' a flag for each country and stuck on the wall around our wallchart (oh yes, we go the whole hog!!). Got son age 6 a 'flags of the world' book from the library and he loves it. He really impressed someone the other day by shouting correctly "look, its the Brazil flag"!!! His flag book is great, so colourful and he is learning names of new countries every day! Will put our large England flags in the windows on Thursday. Maz. XX

John

John Report 8 Jun 2004 20:58

That's really good Maz! Flags are a great introduction to learning about the countries of the world and their diverse inhabitants, as well as colours and shapes etc. I want to do the same with my 3 yr old.

Ernest

Ernest Report 8 Jun 2004 22:07

In the British Isles each country has a period when they seem to celebrate their entity EXCEPT ENGLAND perhaps the English have at last found it in themselves to show a bit of pride in who they are and what they stand for. as far as I am concerned all four countries should show their flags more often. We are British and we should be proud of it. And I make this statement from my heart and not from a nationalistic point of view. Cheers Ernest

John

John Report 14 Jun 2004 15:42

Any flags at ½ mast today?

valinkent

valinkent Report 14 Jun 2004 15:46

Well said Ernest I agree with every word you say.By the way i have 2 flags on my car and one in my back garden . Val GC