General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Hallooooooo California, especially LA

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Derek

Derek Report 8 Jun 2004 11:11

Is there anyone in this city who could help with an address? I have an address of a rellie(s) but strangely some of the address changes. Help please, Derek in France

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 8 Jun 2004 15:35

Hi Derek: I'm not working today. Perhaps I can take a look at your information and try to find something out? I'm volunteering for a bit this morning, but will be back in two hours.

Derek

Derek Report 8 Jun 2004 17:04

Hi Lisa, I have been sent some copies from the Los Angeles Directories for just one family, Donald Dement and an aunt of mine, his wife, Iris May. 1929 gives as written; Dement, Donald E (Iris M)phys 1680 Vine R910 rGlendale 1935; Dement, Donald E phys 1680 Vine R913 rGlendale 1936; Dement, Donald E phys Vine R913 210 S Chadbourne rBrentwood Pk 1938;Dement,Donald E (Iris) phys 1680 Vine R913 r210 S Chadbourne Av I believe that all four above addresses are in fact the same, but why entered so different. Be interesting to read your views on this. How is your dad at present, does he have any interest in your quest, is he Canadian born. I'm taking your precious time, so pleased if you can help with the above, lotsaluv, Derek

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 8 Jun 2004 18:48

Hi Derek: Dad is doing ok for now; thank you for asking. :~) Dad volunteered for years with the LDS Centre and when he wasn't volunteering he would go to look things up. As a result, he confirmed that our "family bible" was correct and we can trace one branch back to 1748. We're all Canadian (only my immediately family came down here); the first ancestor arrived in Canada in the early 1800's, the last in 1870. Got home a few minutes ago and I've just spent a bit of time looking for your information. Here's what I know/found out: Glendale is a "town" (had a small population years ago; don't know the size now) in Southern California. Brentwood Park: "The affluent neighborhood of Brentwood Park is one of large older estates." Brentwood Park is also in Southern California. RR stands for rural route; don't know what R could be, unless he was renting a room? Southern California has a lot of freeways, but they usually have "I880" or "H101", so don't think R910 is a freeway. Was he a physician -- is that what phys is? I'll keep looking around, now I want to know answers. How's France? Is the weather nice? Just had a thought: if he WAS a physician, perhaps his business was on Vine and "r" stands for residence. My Mumford ancestors were butchers in Canada; their shop address is listed first in the directory and the residence is listed next (and they used "r" for residence).

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 8 Jun 2004 19:30

Three Brentwood Park's in California. One up here, one fairly far from Glendale, one not too far from Glendale. Just reread your posting. (Sigh, I'm so slow sometimes.) If you were looking at a Los Angeles Directory, I think: (for 1929 and 1935): 1680 Vine is in the city of Los Angeles, his residence is Glendale, possibly Route 910/913(???). 1936: possibly his business was still on Vine Street in Los Angeles, residence was 210 South Chadbourne, Brentwood Park. Don't know about 1938. The R910/913 confuses me. However, it was/is not uncommon for people "with money" to have more than one residence in California. People live near San Francisco but have summer homes near the mountains. Back in the early 1900's people had homes in San Francisco, but also had summer houses in Alameda, which is across the bay from San Francisco. It looks like 1680 Vine Street, Los Angeles is at the corner of Hollywood and Vine, which is a well-known intersection. Here is a photograph of the area, in case you are interested: http://baldmtpress(.)com/hollywood/picture_pages/hollywood_vine_roof.htm Once again, could R910 be a room number, as the buildings in that area have a lot of "suites". There's a lot of information on google regarding Hollywood and Vine. Would be interesting to see if Christa sees this thread. She comes up with great answers.

Derek

Derek Report 10 Jun 2004 17:01

Hi Lisa, 32°C in the shade, its hot! I just spent the last 24 hours aiding a friend move his sailing dinghy along the coast, ready for his regatta this w/e. It was lovely and still got burnt by the sun. I have rich and influential relations in LA, can I get any help, huh! For the moment I'll put aside this address prob and I'd like to thank you again for all your help, luv, Derek