General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

P.I.D. Anyone got it, had it?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Stacey

Stacey Report 8 Jun 2004 11:37

This is a bit strange and very upsetting for me, but I need to know some answers. It is a bit of a long story, but about 4 years ago I had the coil, it was so painfull and never settled down so I had it removed, afterwards I suffered lower pain, period probs etc. Been under gyne dept. Had my appointment yesterday and have been diganosed with Pelvic inflamattory infection. I was booked in for an operation and sent out the door. I did some research and it is a result of having an STD! Bearing in mind I only ever had one sexual partner and I have checks for STD's every 9-12months. ( you are probably wondering why? Well as a woman I take care of every part of me health, as you never know) I went back to the hospital and demanded to see the consultant. Apparently in very rare cases this can be passed on when a coil is inserted and thats how they believe that I caught the infection. I am now left with a million questions. Was the equipment clean? Why didnt the consultant tell me? Should I make a complaint? Bearing in mind this causes infertility, if I did want private IVF treatment should the NHS pay? The list goes on, but right now I feel all alone, if i hadnt had regular checks and known that I had never had an STD would they have let me believe that it was my fault? I dont know what to do for the best?????

Unknown

Unknown Report 8 Jun 2004 13:18

Hi Stacey Sending you lots of sympathy and big hugs. I've fortunately never had this, but I do know that it's not specifically caused by an STD. Take Donna's advice and see your GP; if you don't think they're going to be sympathetic, then get an appointment with another one in your practice. Also Nichola's advice is good too, the cranberry juice is very helpful (tastes horrid to me, but hubby drinks it as he has the male equivalent of PID - benign prostatic tumours - have to LOL!). I'm keen on herbal remedies, get some advice from a reputable health store like Holland & Barrett. Keep your chin up and take care, love Mandy xx

Stacey

Stacey Report 8 Jun 2004 15:08

Thanks! I was getting myself into a right state thinking that someone with an STD had used the same instruments to insert my coil. My head has been bursting! It is confusing as the info i did get from the internet and NHS Direct did put the blame onto STD's. I feel a little more relaxed now! Thanks x x x x

Sandra

Sandra Report 8 Jun 2004 20:50

Stacey try not to worry, my daughter had P I D when she was 16, her periods are not to bad on the pill, though still painful she is 26 in july and had her 1st baby in feb 2004, and has cysts on her ovaries. My youngest daughter suffers with her monthlys she's just 16 and i suffered in my early years 12 - 30, with abdominal migraines, bad pains flooding and viscious headaches. i had a bad time with a coil, not the most pleasant contraceptive. Anyway I would advise all women to have regular smears, i had cervical cancer amd watched the biopsy [coloscopy] and decided to opt for a hysterectomy in stead of laser as i had 5 children and when they opened me up, it was in my womb. that was 11years ago and this is the first year that i don't have to be tested. so keep up the health checks i still do, sandra

Stacey

Stacey Report 9 Jun 2004 00:06

Thanks for your kind words, its strange that you dont hear of these things, but when you ask there are others! I do feel a whole lot better. Thanks ladies x