General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can any ladies help me please?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Poolmaster

Poolmaster Report 8 Jun 2004 13:48

hi, i'm taking my girlfriend to rome in october for her birthday and i thought it would be the ideal setting to pop the question! i have already had one disastrous marriage and i really want this one to start perfectly. so, my question is, have any of you been to rome and can you recommend a top place to "do the deed", and have you any advice on how to do it in a romantic non cheesy way which she will remember forever? oh yeah, and are argos vouchers instead of a ring a bad idea?

Devon Dweller

Devon Dweller Report 8 Jun 2004 14:11

Ive been to Rome and there are so many ideal places..all of them very romantic (but I have to say the traffic is a drawback). Im sure you'll find the perfect spot...just go with the flow its a beautiful City. Sheila

Kim

Kim Report 8 Jun 2004 14:31

argos sells engagement rings and you can take them back with their 16 day guarantee if its not acceptable!!!! :)

Penny

Penny Report 8 Jun 2004 14:36

Paul, I have never been to Rome but I imagine it to be a romantic place so I'm sure your on to a winner there. When you are in love any place can be romantic. But I would advise to cut the idea of the Argos vouchers, I do hope you are joking but if not NO a good old fashioned ring ( A jeweller once advised us it should cost the amount of your monthly pay packet!!!) Should she say no keep it aside in the hope that you can win her round. Best Wishes though, Penny

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 8 Jun 2004 14:43

Paul - Rome is a wonderful city, have been twice, the 2nd time with hubby for my 40th birthday, the 1st time, well... let's just say I was single and had a great time!!! There are loads of romantic places but the well-known ones (Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps etc.) are VERY touristy. You can't really go wrong - loads of options. As to the Argos vouchers, I do agree with others that a ring would be a better bet! Hope it all goes well, Sheila

Poolmaster

Poolmaster Report 8 Jun 2004 14:45

ok, i really was joking about the argos vouchers! as much as a monthly pay packet? they dont make them that expensive do they?

Penny

Penny Report 8 Jun 2004 14:56

But Paul the lady in your life is bound to be worth it. Penny

Debi Coone

Debi Coone Report 8 Jun 2004 16:40

Can't imagine a more romantic place than by the Trevi Fountain. My grandmother always told us that happy moments should be shared so she highly approved when hubby one kneed it in St Marks Square Venice in Aug 1985 - It was such a buzz ( and all those free drinks from so many strangers warmly wishing us a happy ever after) Much much happiness to you both Debi

Unknown

Unknown Report 8 Jun 2004 17:20

Paul I'm sure she will be thrilled to bits and is bound to say yes! Hope you have a wonderful time. On a slightly more sensible note about the ring, yes - spend as much as you can because good jewellery is an investment. I have a lovely diamond (not a rock though, I hasten to add, just pretty) because we managed to be buying in the January sales LOL, but we're glad that we got a nice one because hopefully it's got to last a very long time! Love and congratulations to you both, Mandy :))

Pumphrey

Pumphrey Report 8 Jun 2004 17:45

"Three coins in the fountain" a Frank Sinatra classic about the Trevi fountain. Have a listen it's gorgeous and you could make it "your" song. How about buying a ring in Rome? That way if she turns you down (which she would be mad to) you get away without bruising your wallet as well as your heart!

Pumphrey

Pumphrey Report 8 Jun 2004 17:57

Oh yeah. I forgot about the "cheesy" bit too. Us girls love a bit of "cheesy" though when it comes to romance.

MaggyfromWestYorkshire

MaggyfromWestYorkshire Report 8 Jun 2004 18:35

Just keep her away from the computer, Paul, don't want to spoil the surprise!! Good Luck Maggy

***Julie*Ann***.sprinkling fairydust***

***Julie*Ann***.sprinkling fairydust*** Report 8 Jun 2004 19:22

noooooooooo not vouchers have you never ever bought her a ring? take her to a jewelers on the proviso of buying her a 'dress ring' for other hand, remember the size and go back for the engagement ring, there you are, sorted. hee hee. hope she like rome and im sure how ever you ask her she will say yes.

Sandra

Sandra Report 8 Jun 2004 20:15

AAAAAhhhh Paul I love romance, i think the trevoli fountain would be a perfect setting, reminds me of the film, Wherever you do it i'm sure it will be yes, and i wish you good luck for the future, don't forget to throw the coins in and your wishes will be granted. sandra

John

John Report 8 Jun 2004 20:28

Paul, do you want a bloke's advice? Make it a special time there. Try not to give her any ideas that it could be the big question whilst you're away (woman's intuition though!). I proposed to my wife in Stratford upon Avon. We chose a ring a few days later in Coventry. It was a really good idea to buy the ring in Rome after she's accepted. That way she can try it on and it'll be more special -chosen together in a great city! Good luck. (I know I'm not a lady!!!!)

Poolmaster

Poolmaster Report 9 Jun 2004 14:35

thank you ever so much for the advice yesterday and thanks for the blokes perspective john! i've got loads of good ideas now. just hope she says yes! thanks again. paul....