General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Big thanks to Lisa, Jean & Bob - Webb & Jews

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Stacey

Stacey Report 8 Jun 2004 16:11

Guess what? After reading your messages it made me think. After my grandad passed away I was given an envelope. I cant believe it I have just foung my g grans birth, deat & marriage certificate! I am shaking and I cant read it yet, because of the tears! Thanks for replying, if you didnt then it wouldnt have jogged my memory! Thanks

Foxyfeline

Foxyfeline Report 8 Jun 2004 17:23

Oh Stacey How wonderful, I do hope you tell us what you find. I love mysteries, our family mystery has been such fun unravelling, and through my research of course, I met my cousin, and have found more, but haven't met them yet. Finding out the original family name is such a relief when you get it too. I stood and cried when I stood in front of my Grandfather's grave for the first time, I just wish I had known him, he died 30 years before I was born. Lisa xx

Unknown

Unknown Report 8 Jun 2004 17:26

Stacey, I had just finished reading your other thread and was going to put a reply, then I saw this one! How incredible!! I can imagine you must be shaking! When you have calmed down, please come back on and tell us some more of your story. I'm really interested and I'm sure loads of other people will be too! Mandy :)

Stacey

Stacey Report 8 Jun 2004 17:43

Well Mandy, As the story goes. I have looked at this envelope every day since my grandad passed away 2 years ago. Its true I put it in my knicker draw for safe keeping. From the marriage certificate I have found the name of my gg-granddad. His name was John Robert Metson. I was wondering does Metson sound Jewish? Could it have been Metzson? The story thickens! There are 2 witnesses on the marriage certificate W & M Metson. The marriage was in 1912. In those days what was the usual practice for your witnesses? Brothers, Sisters, cousins? Now all I need to do is figure what to do next? Me & my grandad were very close and it has got me thinking that he must have asked for these to be given to me for a reason.

Stacey

Stacey Report 9 Jun 2004 00:08

I am nudging this up for the night owls as I am still curious about the story and wonder if anyone else has heard the same! This comes in 2 parts, sorry for the confusion!