General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

computer help please!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Wendy

Wendy Report 9 Jun 2004 23:27

Someone has sent me some zipped files,I know the person and they will be safe.When they get downloaded the screen flashes and I have to close the computer down to get rid of it.Is there something I'm doing wrong or do I need something to look at zipped files.Help greatly appreciated.Thanks, Wendy

Judy

Judy Report 10 Jun 2004 02:36

In order to open a zip file (an e-mail that has multiple attachements) one must have have a program on their computer to "unzip" the file. Winzip has a free evaluation version that can be had at this site: http://www.winzip(.)com/downwz.htm Make sure to remove the ( ) from the address above. The link has two links for you to choose from in order to download the program.....choose either link. Download the evaluation version and install the program. After you've installed, find the zip file that was sent to you, RIGHT click on it, and chose from the drop down box that appears, OPEN WITH.....WINZIP should be one of the choices to click on. Just follow the Winzip prompts on your screen to open and view the files. Choosing EXTRACT will place each of the pictures/documents in the designated folder you choose. Any problems let me know. Although Winzip in time will give you a message that it is no longer free and you need to pay for it, ignore this message after it starts to appear and continue to open choosing the EVALUATION choose.....the evaluation always seems to work....it has for me and I use the program all the time and it's been on my computer for years. The full version of the program can be had (for free) on some of the shareware sites that are out there.....if your interested I can send you that link and you can obtain the pay version for free. Judy

Wendy

Wendy Report 10 Jun 2004 08:45

Thanks Judy,I'll try that later today when I have a bit more time, Wendy