General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Secondhand Cars

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 10 Jun 2004 09:43

I need some advice if there's anyone who can help. I need a car! I'm learning to drive and don't think my parents will let me go near their cars so need to get my own. Learning on an automatic..... does anyone know any good websites or places in or around Hampshire?? Chloe

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 10 Jun 2004 09:48

Thanks Sue.

badger

badger Report 10 Jun 2004 16:05

Chloe,it may not matter to you ,but are you aware that if you take all your lessons,and then your test in an automatic ,that is all you will able to drive,?.It might be a good idea to take lessons on a manual too to give you a bit more scope,autoes are dearer to buy and use more fuel ,worth consideration with fuel prices rising all the time.Good luck with the test Fred.

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 10 Jun 2004 16:12

Thanks for the concern Fred. I know all of this. For the past 6 months I've been learning in a manual and can't seem to get a hang of the gear box at all. Fine with going up gears, it's going down the gears I'm hopeless at. Also really rubbish at clutch control. So automatic it has to be...... I hate admitting defeat. Chloe

badger

badger Report 10 Jun 2004 16:34

That,s okay,i did both too and i messed up on the auto, i only put the drive lever into park while still rolling [oops]my uncle ray was NOt impressed.glad i learned though cause i smashed my left ankle at work and have just ordered an auto cause my ankle can,t handle the clutch anymore.Fred.

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Jun 2004 16:48

hy chloe..autotrader...loot...ebay,all have a good selection,just put the names in your search browser,and you will find the websites,as fred says,fuel is getting expensive,but doesnt matter how small the engine,our speed limit is 70mph,so whatever you choose,will be fine,is your dad going to put you on his insurance,if not thats another hefty lump to pay out...whatever you buy,i wish you many years of happy motoring...bryan.

Geoff

Geoff Report 10 Jun 2004 17:41

Only drove an auto once. Once you remember to hide your left foot somewhere (to avoid unnecessary emergency stops) it's quite enjoyable!

Sue

Sue Report 10 Jun 2004 23:44

Geoff Always swore I'd never drive an auto - not like proper driving! However, since my husband's accident where he damaged his left leg, an auto is all he can drive. I've had to adapt and now even have an automatic of my own. Why didn't I get one years ago? LOL They do use more fuel though - or is it just the air con? LOL My son has a manual Fiesta - how many times have I driven that and forgotten the clutch when I get to the bottom of the road? Not blonde really! LOL Sue