General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

any teaching assistants out there?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MrsMooMoo

MrsMooMoo Report 10 Jun 2004 18:23

Hi there. I was wondering how you found employment. I am currently working voluntarily at my local primary school. I am also studying for a 'Helping in School' certificate which covers all the basics of schooling in primary schools. I would love to work in a primary school but it seems school prefer experienced t.a.s. plus there are few job vacancies at the moment. I am in a job which I loathe and I am racking my brains as to what I can do to increase my chances of getting a job! I have to work term-time as i have a young daughter. Any ideas appreciated. Please could you e-mail me direct

Wee Scottish Lass

Wee Scottish Lass Report 10 Jun 2004 18:38

Have emailed you.

Helen in Berkshire

Helen in Berkshire Report 10 Jun 2004 22:42

Sally - have emailed you Helen

MrsMooMoo

MrsMooMoo Report 11 Jun 2004 18:21

Thank you to everyone who has replied. You have given me a bit of hope!

Bren from Oldham

Bren from Oldham Report 11 Jun 2004 22:59

Hi Sally My daughter started by helping in school, then she became a dinnertime playground assistant This was followed by the school offering her part time paid work as a classroom support assistant . Whilst doing that that she went on a course for 2 days a week to obtain her certificates After this her hours were increased gradually until she was working full time as a teaching assistant She now deals with non -attenders and their families but still works with the children with special needs My next door neighbour is on the council list for teaching assistants she doesn't always work a full week but her rate of pay is quite high They ring her on a Monday and tell her if there will be any work for her that week. Some weeks she only works one or two days and sometimes she gets a full months work In September she is starting a school based course that will enable her to become an Infant school teacher Perhaps this is a way that you could try if there is a similar scheme in your area Bren

VIVinHERTS

VIVinHERTS Report 11 Jun 2004 23:11

I'm a Nursery Nurse working as a T. A. at the moment. I started by doing voluntary work in my childrens school, worked as a relief dinner lady, cleaner, extra pair of hands and went off to college to do my Diploma in Nursery Nursing. Am currently finishing my degree to do teacher training next year. Taken a long time but worth it. Contact me any time you feel the need, Viv

Iz

Iz Report 12 Jun 2004 10:04

Hi Sally, I have e-mailed you. Isobel

Unknown

Unknown Report 12 Jun 2004 10:24

Sally I hope you find what you're looking for. When I decided to return to work after having my sons, my priority was something that fitted in with their school hours. One was in an infant school and one in a junior school. I got a temporary job as a classroom assistant for the summer term at a primary school. It worked well as a gradual ease back into working life, and I could walk both children to their schools before I went on to mine. For the first 2 years I had someone collect them for me and I got them about half-an-hour later. The work was in a reception class and was washing paints, filing, putting up displays, keeping me busy without too much thought involved. Four years later my older boy is at secondary school and the younger one will be in Yr 6 in September. Where I work everything has changed a lot, we've a new head and largely new teaching staff. I am now a learning support assistant and have most of the morning to do special needs/speech therapy/ELS etc. which I love. The rest of the day I work in a class of year 1s with a few yr 2s, with a few hours in reception during the week. I now want to do something more challenging, with better pay, but I am aware that one of the "perks" of the job is that at the end of the day I can switch off and go home, whereas more challenging work is usually something you bring home, if only in your head. Helen