General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Beckham versus the war

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

kylie from perth in oz

kylie from perth in oz Report 11 Jun 2004 09:24

i just found a video i had from england and decided to watch it and victoria beckham was on it saying if people are in the paper shop why do they insist on buying the paper with her and David on and not about the war im guilty of this if the newspaper headlines said 'world finishing tomorrow" or another one had them or some other celeb on i would pick the beckham or celeb paper how about u WAR OR FAME

Lesley M

Lesley M Report 11 Jun 2004 10:08

Personally, I never buy a newspaper as I think they're all full of rubbish. I have no interest in what celebrities are up to and if there is some world event that is vitally important, I'll get to hear about it eventually. If it's not important, I don't need to know about it!!

Philip

Philip Report 11 Jun 2004 10:46

Hello Kylie, Don't get me started on this subject, I can bore for England about the fourth estate (or media, as it's popularly known). A good example is that well known American-Australian power player, Rupert Murdoch, but there are several others I'm sure we would all recognise. I have progressively gone off reading most of the national press, as it has progressively lost interest in reporting the actual news, and now artificially manufactures much of its storyline, "shock horrors", "scandals", etc etc. My best paper, from the point of view of reading a genuine newspaper, is our own Western Morning News here in the peninsula. I wouldn't mind reading about celebrities from time to time, if the news was genuine and uplifting. However, so much of it is scandal-mongering plus plain downright advertising, that it turns me off completely. Much the same can be said of the "news", international and otherwise. Political spin and hype has so completely taken over that you can bet that the storyline probably bears little resemblance to reality. So I think my real answer to your question is that we can become distracted into lighthearted debates about his and hers reading matter, and there's nothing wrong in that. However, the real issue is much more serious. Grrr...... Philip

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 11 Jun 2004 10:46

Well said Lesley and Donna! I never buy newpapers either due to them being full of bulls**t! If it's important, it will be on the news. Jeanette

Unknown

Unknown Report 11 Jun 2004 11:54

hy kylie,i dont buy newspapers either,no need to,we have news on tv,and on the internet...ime interested in wot becks does on the pitch,but ime sick to death of reading about his third rate celeb wife..if she wasent married to david,she would be an untalented nobody....best wishes...bryan.

William

William Report 11 Jun 2004 18:13

I would just like to add on the subject of the press.There are nothing wrong with any of the Newspapers,its just that people take their every word as gospel! Regards William Russell Jones Cefn Mawr Wrexham.