General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

A good society?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jane

Jane Report 11 Jun 2004 17:55

I'm sure many of you belong to a family history society. They are a great help to us all. but what makes a good society? I'm maybe a bit biased being a secretary for my local society but I know I always offer help in some form to new members. I have found help in the past with other societies in areas where ancestors lived. Sometimes I have only joined for a year, others I stayed for longer. But they have all helped in some small way. Jane

Angela

Angela Report 11 Jun 2004 17:59

My ancestry interests spread around the country, and so I have joined a couple of societies that are quite a way from where I live. My key priorities are thereofore that the society has a well presented and informative website, and that it makes its resources as accessible as possible to those who cannot turn up in person at the relevant society meeting place - ie through internet, reasonably priced cd, paper copy and fiche. Having lots of resources that can be consulted in person, but which can only be consulted from a distance at great expense (fees for lookups mount up) are my greatest frustration. Having said that I appreciate societies have to make an income from resources in order to be able to do more so its a case of getting the balance right. Angela

Jane

Jane Report 12 Jun 2004 10:29

Thanks for that Angela. It's hard sometimes to know what members would like or what they don't like. A;though we do ask for opinions none appear so we have to assume things. We have many things on paper to buy and are in the process of getting things onto CD now so many more people have access to computers. I always offer to look things up in the library - local census, directory listing etc. I know how much help they have been to me in the past. I have found so many helpful people also researching their families. In fact I think this is one pf the most friendly hobbies there is! Jane

Philip

Philip Report 12 Jun 2004 14:25

Hello Jane, Thanks for asking the question, prompted me to do some thinking myself. I'm not a member of any local societies at present, only recently having got stuck into the family history thing again. What's th best way of tracking down societies across the kingdom, as my forebears moved all over the place, although a large concentration in Wales? I certainly agree with someone's comment that an attractive and user friendly website is a must! Philip

Jane

Jane Report 12 Jun 2004 14:51

Judith - that is something we are planning for our Winter magazine. We always include a renewal form because memberships are due so thought that way both could be returned in the same envelope - more might actually come back! Phillip - I really think belonging to a society can be of benefit. The Federation of Family History Societies are maybe the best to consult. their site is - www. ffhs.org.uk Jane

Philip

Philip Report 12 Jun 2004 14:53

Ta, Jane. Will give them a try. Philip