General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Any one know any good pregnancy/new baby sites?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda

Linda Report 12 Jun 2004 22:57

Hi everyone, my son and his partner are expecting their 1st baby after two losses. Money is at minimum as he is on disability, friends have told me you can get lots of coupons and freebies on-line. Does anyone know any likely UK based sites. Lynn

sandra rogers

sandra rogers Report 12 Jun 2004 22:58

Hiya linda try greasy palms

Fi aka Wheelie Spice

Fi aka Wheelie Spice Report 12 Jun 2004 23:19

try this one. http://www.babycentre.co.uk/ My sister used it when she was expecting first and it also allows for you to receive weekly emails updating you on your babys growth and what to expect. Loads of info on it. Hope it helps. Fi

Angela

Angela Report 13 Jun 2004 08:47

Avoid any baby sites sponsored by or provided by infant formula manufacturers.

Ann

Ann Report 15 Jun 2004 11:40

In general websites tend to be for the more expensive places. I had a coupon (I think from my health visitor) for a free starter pack from boots and superdrug. I was also given a goody box in the hospital. Don't forget to join the baby club for whichever supermarket you shop at. These are usually free and give all sorts of discounts. For clothes and some basics try asda -- can be quite a bit cheaper. Remember not to buy too much to start with, they will be lucky to get out of the house a couple of times a week whilst wearing newborn sizes. Mine lived in baby grows - with a jumper if necessary. Also, if you have a lot of relatives and friends, remember that they will probably buy something. Try, tactfully asking some of them to buy things for 6 months time. I was given several beautiful newborn outfits, which my son, 8.5lbs at birth, had grown out of in 3 weeks. Try nearly new sales, NCT run them in most areas. I know it is natural to want everything new for a baby, but many things are only used a few times before the baby grows out of it. I bought my daughter (then about 2) several beautiful designer dresses and dungarees at a couple of pound a time. Also watch out for sales. Evidently some parents just have to let their babies and toddlers be sick on the latest colours/styles. So at the end of the season they get sold off relatively cheaply. I try to buy a year ahead (this summers T shirts and shorts were bought last September). Just a few ramblings.............. Above all - enjoy it. The new baby needs its parents and family far more than mountains of toys and designer gear. Ann

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 15 Jun 2004 17:24

Hi Linda Try www(.)huggiesforfree(.)com for a free sample pack of nappies. If someone wants to give a gift, I can recommend the Dorling Kindersley book of Mother and Baby care - takes you right through from conception to age about 5. Angela, your comment is a little strange. Unfortunately we are not all able/willing to breast feed. Therefore formula milk is an essential at some point for most of us. My daughter was breast fed to the age of 6 months, then had formula until 1 year transfer to cows milk. My son was very greedy and I was advised to move him to formula after 1 month for the sake of his health. The very worst thing anyone can do to a new mother is make them feel guilty about any aspect of motherhood or birth. Each woman must make up her own mind according to her own beliefs and the circumstances in which she finds herself. She must also be prepared to adapt to accomodate her child's changing needs and for their safety and health. Above all Linda, make sure your son's partner enjoys her pregnancy and stays as relaxed as possible throughout!! Don't forget to let us know when the birth is imminent! Maz. XX

John

John Report 15 Jun 2004 19:59

Hi Linda, My wife spends loads of time on http://www.ukparents.*co.uk/ - even more than I spend on here! There is a lot to discover on this site - advice, coupons, forums etc etc. It's well worth investigating. There are many sites that sell cloth nappies. Nowadays these are very good (we used them on our 3 yr old) - in the long run they are much cheaper than disposables and much better for the enviroment too. Let me know how you/they get on.

Estelle

Estelle Report 15 Jun 2004 20:07

John, I love UK Parents too. I spend so much time on it - I am divided between this site and UKP. I really recommend it for new and expectant mums. The forums have been a great source of help for me. I know that not everyone can breastfeed, but I do think that if you have the best support then that can make it easier, and it is free!! The breastfeeding forum on UKP is fantastic. I hope that everything goes well for them. Hope you'll keep us posted. Estelle

John

John Report 15 Jun 2004 20:12

Estelle, My wife is "Miss Happ" on UKP.

Estelle

Estelle Report 15 Jun 2004 20:44

John, I recognise her name. I was EstelleC and have just changed to Pootlesmummy. I don't post that often, but just read the boards alot. I will post her a message to say hello. Estelle