General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Why the name Pommie

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Maureen

Maureen Report 12 Jun 2004 23:07

My husband heard on the radio today that the name pommie or more precisely pome stands for Prisoner Of Mother England is this right or is there some other explanation.

Devon Dweller

Devon Dweller Report 12 Jun 2004 23:17

Apparently it comes from Prisoners Of Her Majesty POHM. Sheila p.s. but why are women called Sheila's???????

Annie

Annie Report 12 Jun 2004 23:30

Hi re sheila this might be of interest - removing the brackets of course http://www.anu(.)edu(.)au/ANDC/Ozwords/December%202001/Sheila(.)html

Maureen

Maureen Report 12 Jun 2004 23:33

Sheila, just looked on Ask Jeeves. I put in "Why Sheilas" got a site titled WHO IS SHEILA very interesting!! Too long to go into here, but have a look especially if you've got Irish blood!

Bob

Bob Report 12 Jun 2004 23:40

Interesting site Annie but you dont need the brackets http://www.anu.edu.au/ANDC/Ozwords/December%202001/Sheila.html

Devon Dweller

Devon Dweller Report 12 Jun 2004 23:52

Thanks everyone, will take a look now Sheila

Annie

Annie Report 12 Jun 2004 23:52

noted!

Maureen

Maureen Report 12 Jun 2004 23:57

Is it because I don't know any better (I'm new to the world of the computer) but I never use site names. I just put key words in a search engine and nearly always come up trumps. I just put "Ozwords" into Ask Jeeves and got the site up straight away!! Ignorance is bliss!!!!

Helen in Kent

Helen in Kent Report 13 Jun 2004 01:01

I understood it was 'Prisoners Of the Motherland'