General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Tearing my hair out and climbing the walls.......!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Yvette

Yvette Report 13 Jun 2004 08:22

On Tuesday i was really good, i caught up with all my emails, then contacted several members of GC/GR about family connetions etc. Feeling virtuous i went and finished my ironing, then remembered something i wanted to add to a friend so back to the computer i came. DISASTER!!!!!! My email account wouldnt take my password, i kept trying all evening with no luck. Tried again the next morning, still no joy so in desperation called my internet provider. No worry they said, we have 4 main servers down, but the engineers are working hard to fix it. !!!!!!!! Its now Sunday morning and the ****** thing still doesnt work, i am climbing the walls in frustration, and having called the service people again have been told they have no idea how much longer it will be off. On explaining i am waiting for a very important email to come through they said, not to worry anyone who tries to email you will be told your address doesn't exist...........................NOT TO WORRY.............what planet are these people on???? that means people i have contacted will not know where to reply, and think i have been on a wind up or something, and i could be missing vital connections!!!!!!! SO>>>> to anyone on Gc/Gr who has tried to reply to me, please keep trying until you get through, i really do exist! A very unhappy Yvette :-(

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 13 Jun 2004 08:35

Yvette: A GC member contacted me about a possible connection. She has done a lot of searching for me, trying to establish (or not) a connection. I've been trying to get in touch with my dad's cousin (he lives in Canada) to obtain more information about our ancestor. I've now tried five times to reach him, each time being denied access. Also, my mum has spent about the last two weeks trying to log onto her internet service -- each time it takes one to two hours. She already has extremely high blood pressure, so this isn't doing her any good. Aren't computers so wonderful sometimes? Hopefully, your new contacts will continue to try to contact you. Sorry I can't offer any help, but I'm sending hugs.

Yvette

Yvette Report 13 Jun 2004 22:01

Lisa Thanks for the hugs and kind words. Lets hope we all get sorted out soon. Hugs to you also Yvette

Yvette

Yvette Report 13 Jun 2004 22:48

Hi Frances No, i havent had any mail since Tuesday morning, so i havent received your one either. I am guessing it was to say you cant make the meet up in Wisbech.....i saw your message to Karin. Congratulations on your daughters news, i hope that everything goes well. We will have to have a Norwich get together as soon as you can make it. I have no idea when i will get my emails again, so i will have to email you when i am back, in the meantime if you need to get hold of me it will have to be on the General Board. Hope that you are keeping well and that your tree is growing nicely. Regards Yvette

Zoe

Zoe Report 13 Jun 2004 23:09

Hi Yvette, Any progress made at all with the email access? Computers are great when they're working (or for that matter when we're working them well!) but they sure are annoying when things don't go smoothly aren't they? I reckon internet providers just do it now & again to keep us on our toes & to make us realise how much we really do need our computers & them!! Well take care of yourself. Don't lose any sleep over it & keep in touch via your threads..... See you. Love Zoe, Wellington, NZ

Yvette

Yvette Report 14 Jun 2004 10:29

Hi Zoe Monday morning here and still no email access, thanks for the reply to my messages. It is amazing how much we rely on these machines isn't it. I have family in Canada, Hawaii and USA that i am so used to keeping in touch with via email, as well as my Uk friends that are well spread out, and Gc contacts, that i feel like my arm has been cut off at the moment! I look forward to reading your email when they finally let it through...........you will probably hear me cheering from here, lol. Hope you are keeping well and look forward to catching up with you soon. Yvette

Philip

Philip Report 14 Jun 2004 16:36

Hello Yvette, If it's any comfort, I think we've all had these problems from time to time! A mental sledgehammer can be very help, I find! Suggestion - because of this kind of problem, either internet server being down or e-mail server playing up, I've found it useful to register with more than one ISP. I don't know what kind of access package you have, but I've got a 24/7 package with my main ISP, and pay as you go with the others, so I'd only pay for individual calls in an emergency. Each ISP provides you with its own e-mail address for you, so you've always got an alternative way of keeping in touch with people. Hope this may help. Philip