General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

oh i have made a mistake

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaret

Margaret Report 13 Jun 2004 15:24

Just found that i have made a coule of mistakes on my family tree and need to get rid of a couple of names any tips please Margaret

Bob

Bob Report 13 Jun 2004 15:59

Oh! dear Margaret. You can't remove a name that has any decendants, so you have to remove all links first. If the wrong names are on the outer branches that's ok otherwise it can be easier to delete the whole thing and build it again. If you have it elsewhere you can import it as a gedcom file.

Pumphrey

Pumphrey Report 13 Jun 2004 16:12

Bobs right Margaret. You can delete everything you have added on above the person in question and start from there again. Pam

Sand

Sand Report 13 Jun 2004 16:31

Hi Margaret, Been there-done that! GR don't make these things easy do they?! I have only managed to delete people the easy way twice--the rest of the time I have had to contact the site and ask them to do it. They will do it, but it tends to be slow as they like to go into a long-winded description of how to do it through your own pages first, even though you have told them you've already tried that! I have recently done it a different way--it doesn't suit every situation, but may suit yours. I change the name of the person to be deleted to that of another relative. In other words, if I have made a mistake by putting someone in the wrong place, I change that name to another relative's name that I may not have added to that branch of the tree yet. I then add the 'deletee' to their proper branch of the tree. Like I say, won't suit every situation, but it can work if you have a lot of family to add in one go.

Margaret

Margaret Report 13 Jun 2004 17:09

Thanks Bob, Pam and Sally i have only got to remove my great grandfather and wife and great great grandfather and wife so i am hoping that with the tips you have givven me it should not be a major task, Thanks again all

Annie

Annie Report 13 Jun 2004 17:11

have you ever tried typing "mistake" or "error" into the surname box on the right hand side? A

Unknown

Unknown Report 13 Jun 2004 21:44

Annie, tried that just cos I'm nosey and how funny :))) At least it proves that Margaret isn't the only one to make a mistake!

Annie

Annie Report 13 Jun 2004 22:05

made me laugh too .. ;) mind you, I've made loads of mistakes and haven't been able to amend them all. I've got two husbands with the same name for one of my rellies!

June

June Report 13 Jun 2004 22:13

Margaret I put ???????? in on my mistake, then put the correct name in when I knew it