General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Anyone know these occupations????

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Irene

Irene Report 13 Jun 2004 17:18

Hi I'm trying to find out what some of my ancestors did for a living and I'm stumped on a couple of them. CAN YOU HELP? One was an OTTAK maker, another a KNOTHERSHOE. They were both from Northampton so I wondered if its something to do with the boot and shoe trade. Any help greatly appreciated. Many thanks I

Helen in Berkshire

Helen in Berkshire Report 13 Jun 2004 17:36

Hi Irene I've had a look at a couple of sites and Google - no luck. Would it be worth trying to contact Northamptonshire FHS or the Northampton Records Office to see if someone there has specialized local knowledge? Good luck and best regards Helen

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 13 Jun 2004 18:26

Hi Irene Does it deffinitely say ottak maker? I have just transcribed a piece for the 1861 census and there were a few Oat Cake Makers. Jeanette

Geoff

Geoff Report 13 Jun 2004 19:22

Perhaps it was a Knotter - although that was normally in net- or lace-making.

Irene

Irene Report 13 Jun 2004 22:44

Many thanks to you all - it was definately Ottak but I will try Northamptonshire records! Again Many thanks L

Geoff

Geoff Report 14 Jun 2004 00:08

I cannot find "ottak" in either of my big dictionaries and it is a word that Google doesn't seem to recognise (in English at least).

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Jun 2004 01:03

I don't know if this will help but on my search engine one of the view links in english says "ottak Kathmandu" means village of the single stone. Like I said, not sure this will help much!!! Bye for now Eleanorxx

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Jun 2004 01:15

Maybe the Knothershoe could have been a corruption of "another shoe .....maker", particularly if the person recorded immediately before your guy was also a shoe maker!? It's a long shot I know............!!!!!!!!!! TTFN Eleanorxx

Irene

Irene Report 16 Jun 2004 09:26

Many thanks to everyone. Still no real joy but if I ever find out I'll post it. Again, many thanks

Mags

Mags Report 16 Jun 2004 19:56

Irene, there's someone on the tips page with a book that might help Mags