General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Wedding speech,,,i need help.!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Claire in Lincs

Claire in Lincs Report 14 Jun 2004 09:18

My daughter is getting married on saturday and I am to propose the toast for the bride and groom. I want to say a few thank you's but also wanted to mention my mum and stephen 's (b/groom) dad who are sadly no longer with us, Its a special day and I feel it cant pass without a mention of these two special people while not wanting to make it all sad at the same time. My brother made a speech on my sisters w/day and he mentioned a famous quote from George Bernard Shaw but i cant remember what it is,, i need help...lol......!!

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Jun 2004 09:30

Marriage is popular because it combines the maximim of temptation with the maximum of opportunity - George Bernard Shaw

William

William Report 14 Jun 2004 10:43

If I was asked to give you advice on what to say etc,all I can really offer is to be your self.People will be more impressed,I think,if they can see that whatever you say,are your own words. Regards William Russell Jones Cefn Mawr Wrexham.

Linda

Linda Report 14 Jun 2004 11:05

HI claire Just a few ideas, Write bullet points of what you want to say and the order in which you wish to do it eg 1) welcome 2) Thankyou ETc. Thses can be put on a small card and kept in your bag and placed on the table as you make your speech, I like the second messages idea about absent family members and finally be yourself because thats how everybody knows and loves you hope this helps Linda P

Linda

Linda Report 14 Jun 2004 11:05

HI claire Just a few ideas, Write bullet points of what you want to say and the order in which you wish to do it eg 1) welcome 2) Thankyou ETc. Thses can be put on a small card and kept in your bag and placed on the table as you make your speech, I like the second messages idea about absent family members and finally be yourself because thats how everybody knows and loves you hope this helps Linda P

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Jun 2004 12:51

Hi Claire At our wedding, my husband wanted to remember his grandad who he'd been close to, so his mum put a single red rose in a silver vase on a nearby table. It's not quite so emotional as mentioning people on a day which can be quite emotional anyway! I hope you all have a really wonderful and memorable day. Mandy x

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 14 Jun 2004 16:24

You will find some good (wedding) speech books in the library - just ask the librarian to point you in the right direction! He/she may also know some good quotes! Maz. XX

Claire in Lincs

Claire in Lincs Report 14 Jun 2004 16:47

Thanks for all your ideas everyone, It going to be a very difficult thing for me to do without crying,,Everytime i try and compose the speech I end up with tears rolling down my cheeks. Maybe i will try a bit of humour ,,,Most of the guys who will be there are mad Newcastle fans,,,being geordies, I could say something along the lines of thanking FIFA for reorgnising the footie around the wedding, What do you think? I want to make it a short speech but do want to say a few thanks yous,,hope i can manage it without getting the sniffs,

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 14 Jun 2004 16:51

Yes I think lighthearted is the way to go. Why not include the 'absent friends' in the toast, or if you feel you may get too emotional, have a quiet word with the best man and ask if he would pass on their best wishes to the happy couple. Maybe he could say a telegram from heaven had arrived?? Maz. XX

Debi Coone

Debi Coone Report 14 Jun 2004 17:13

Hi I hope I'm not stealing someones thunder here BUT I did see a thread on here some time ago and another GC member had read this poem out at her daughter's wedding - I thought it to be so nice I saved it : I give you to the man you love upon your wedding day No tear of mine can mar your joy,I send you on your way Grateful for the golden years when you belonged to me, Treasuring within my heart each precious memory, I'm losing you, my dear, but I am more than glad to know That you have found your love, as I found mine long, long ago. So goodbye my little girl, God keep you and God bless, Granting you life's sweetest blessings; health and happiness. I know it's not exactly your original question of help - however thought it could do with another airing : ) Much happiness debi

Claire in Lincs

Claire in Lincs Report 14 Jun 2004 21:51

Hi Deb I agree,,,its a lovely poem and I have tried to say it without crying,,,,but im a bit of a softy,,so i have decided to write it in the wedding card I am going to give them. Thanks for the suggestions everyone,,,youv really helped..now the next question is,,,How can i stop being nervous,,,!!!!lol

Sidami

Sidami Report 14 Jun 2004 23:03

Claire, My niece got married last year, her mother sadly died when my neice was only five when it was her fathers turn to say a few words, he just asked everyone to stand up and raise their glasses to absent friends, I knew what he meant and so did everyone else......I think that was all that needed to be said. Sue.......hope you all have a fantastic day

Debi Coone

Debi Coone Report 14 Jun 2004 23:25

Oh Claire I'm the same right ickle blubber bunny lol! No doubt you will overcome your nerves and go with the flow and have a wonderful day. Much much happiness to the happy couple now and for the rest of their days : ) Debi