General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Near and Far

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 14 Jun 2004 09:30

See Below

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 14 Jun 2004 09:31

Who lives nearest and farthest from their place of birth? Do you still visit it? I live in Castleford three miles south of Kippax and often go back up. I have my name line back to around 1700 . Feels strange knowing all your ancestors were there, most christened and married in the same old church. Bob

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 14 Jun 2004 10:23

Hi Bob Don't think I'm going to win any prizes here! I was born in Beverley which is about 6 miles from here. Most of my ancestors are from these parts. One branch in North Cave - about 7 miles away. Another from Hull - about 3 miles away. my Greenley branch (my name sakes) about 30 - 40 miles away. And then there's the lot from Hertfordshire which is a couple of hundred miles away - I think! Jeanette

Bob

Bob Report 14 Jun 2004 10:29

bit further away, but probably no prizes ! Born in London, living in Berlin, Germany

Lindy

Lindy Report 14 Jun 2004 10:41

Born in Port Elizabeth, Eleventh generation South African! Live in Portugal. Lindy;-)

Poolmaster

Poolmaster Report 14 Jun 2004 13:17

my mum tells me i was born in a barn but i'm not sure where!

Tykerose

Tykerose Report 14 Jun 2004 15:43

Born in York Dad was born in Kippax and still go back there Mum was born in Ackworth .Most of Dads lot were Allerton Bywater and worked at the pit Still go back Liz (in Kippax) and I did the church grave yards at Allerton Bywater and Kippax last month looking for our rellies So our lot haven't moved that far away Jan

*****me*****

*****me***** Report 14 Jun 2004 15:46

i still live in the place i was born--Merseyside!!

Lesley M

Lesley M Report 14 Jun 2004 15:52

Ooh do I win for being the closest? According to multimap I live approximately 0.7 miles from where I was born.

Dame

Dame Report 14 Jun 2004 17:02

I was born in the West Midalnds, I live in the wilds Of Arizona not far from the Grand Canyon[90miles].

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Jun 2004 17:10

Bob, I'm feeling a bit left out because I'm neither near nor far - can I have a prize for being an in-betweenie? Born and bred Plymouth girl now living in Somerset. Most of my ancestors are Plymouth or Devon/Cornwall border, although we're working back to Ireland! Mandy :))