General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

One for the girls.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sandra

Sandra Report 15 Jun 2004 20:49

Went to my dr a couple of weeks ago and explained that strangely, my periods had stopped and could it be due to the stress of moving house? We had a long chat and she took a blood test etc and then prescribed HRT, explaining that she diagnosed the onset of the menopause. Okay, I thought, we can handle this (I am only 42!). Had to go back to drs surgery today as I am still not feeling well, very apathetic, weepy, tired and generally a bit down. Saw another GP, who has now told me, NO you are not entering the menopause, HRT is not suitable for you (even though I have not had a proper period for over 6 months) and I shall now be treating you for depression. Gave me a 'script for anti-depressants and told me to go back in a months time. Am I going barmy! Where the hell do I stand now? Who do I trust with my diagnosis, 1st or 2nd Dr. Why is the only info they can give me on the menopause 6 years old. I need help here girls, give me some advice, please. Sandra.

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 Jun 2004 20:54

I do know that the menopause doesn't just suddenly happen over a couple of years, changes to the hormones take place for some years. However, I was always led to believe that you had to have a blood test to confirm whether or not you are starting the menopause, to detect the hormonal changes. With depression, there are certain hormonal changes that occur, so this could be why you are getting two diagnoses. Make an appointment with a doctor you know and trust, and politely suggest that you have some blood tests done. Good luck, Mandy :)

Sandra

Sandra Report 15 Jun 2004 21:11

Thanks for your suggestions. 2nd GP today told me blood test are inconclusive when diagnosing the menopause and are of no use whatsoever. No, cannot possibly be pregnant. Done two tests, both negative, would have felt baby moving by now. Have had two kids already. Know what it feels like.

Jean Durant

Jean Durant Report 15 Jun 2004 21:37

Hi Sandra, If you get hot flushes, night sweats and incredible mood swings I would suggest it is the menopause. Your symptoms sound like depression, which of course is also part of the menopause. Whatever it is I do hope you feel better soon. Wonderful being a woman isn't it? Next time I'm coming back as a dog making sure the owner is someone like me. ( I spoilt my dog something rotten). Jean x.