General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ivy

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

BrianW

BrianW Report 15 Jun 2004 23:29

Not an ancestor, but in the garden.

BrianW

BrianW Report 15 Jun 2004 23:33

We have a lot of ivy in the garden, much of it coming through from neighbouring gardens, mainly on the fences. Can anyone recommend a spray that will kill it off. The ones I have tried don't seem to touch it, the only thing I've found so far is battery acid, but that's a bit drastic!

Susanne

Susanne Report 15 Jun 2004 23:51

Brian, Have you tried glysophate, not the glysophate based products but the 'neat' form. You can often find it at the larger garden centres. It may take a couple of applications but is usually very effective. Sue:-)

Mags

Mags Report 16 Jun 2004 08:21

I grow Ivy on purpose (and on the walls) I thought that was OK if what ever it was growing on was sound in the first place- am I wrong?

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 16 Jun 2004 12:58

I've got it growing though the air brick half way up the wall in the living room! It looks quite nice trained along the curtain rail. Maggie (Addams Family)

BrianW

BrianW Report 16 Jun 2004 16:54

As it grows and the trailers get thicker they are forcing the fence panels and brickwork (where it's gone through gaps)apart. Trailers are finding gaps in the shed and summer-house and damaging those too. I'd never have it on a building.