General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Has anyone been to Sorrento?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Karen

Karen Report 16 Jun 2004 10:37

Hiya. I'm thinking of going to Sorrento in a few weeks and booking up a cheap flight and hotel and doing my own travelling etc, but I am getting nowhere on finding out how to get to Sorrento from Naples airport without getting ripped off or sitting in an airport lounge for god knows how many hours waiting for a bus that only goes between the two destinations 4 times a day. Has anyone got any hints? Thanks. Karen

Katwin

Katwin Report 16 Jun 2004 12:12

Hi Karen, Have just returned from Sorrento for the fifth time and did see a bus from Naples Airport, but I doubt whether they are very regular. Trains and boats are more regular. We booked a last minute package deal in a 4* hotel and it cost £299 all in and had a wonderful hotel with the most excellent food, and as you know the views and sightseeing are wonderful. I think maybe last minute bookings are probably even cheaper now and may be your best bet - try www.icelolly(.)com!!! Best wishes, Kathy xx

Rick

Rick Report 16 Jun 2004 12:44

Hi Karen, Most of the trips between Naples and Sorrento are made by the chartered coaches carrying all the tourists on behalf of the major tour operators. There are buses, but they don't go that often. Taxis cost too much, so it looks like the bus is your only option unless as Kathy says you can get a bargain package with the transfer included. Naples airport is very busy and not sometwhere I'd recommend spending too much time. Hope you have a great time. I'm off there again in September - love the area and it's one of the best coastlines anywhere in the world. RIck.

JackyJ1593

JackyJ1593 Report 16 Jun 2004 13:32

Hi, I have been to Sorrento twice and will go back again. There is a bus outside the airport that goes to Sorrento, one at about 1pm local time but there may be others. There are also taxis that are willing to make the drive and it is not too bad in price. Depends on the hotel, some have a bus that picks up at Naples so it may be worth asking. Have a wonderful time there. Good day trips are book a boat to Capri, a coach to do the Amalfi run and get a train from Sorrento to either see Herculaneum or Pompeii. Another train trip is to Piano de Sorrento and take the cable car up to the top of the hills. Jacky:-)

Devon Dweller

Devon Dweller Report 16 Jun 2004 14:30

Hi Karen, I lived in Piano de Sorrento for a while and have been to Sorrento many many times. Don't rely on the buses....despite what they say. They have a nasty habit of just not turning up and when you have a plane to catch it's just not funny. We had a real nightmare one time trying to get our suitcases and usfrom Sorrento to Naples then to the airport. Even if you're not going with a holiday company they are usually happy to sign you in on the coach tours or squeeze you in on their coaches from the airport. If you do get a taxi from the airport to Sorrento it's a good half hour drive (or so) just agree the price before you get in. Apart from all the places already mentioned be sure to go to the 'Cafe Royal' one evening.........oh I wish I was going too:( Have a great time Sheila

Devon Dweller

Devon Dweller Report 16 Jun 2004 16:15

and I'm squishing into someones suitcase too

Rick

Rick Report 16 Jun 2004 16:56

You certainly know how to put a guy on the spot Lynda ;-) Looks like I'm going to be taking a lot of hand luggage !!! Oh and Karen, add Positano to your list when you go do Amalfi. Rick.

Rick

Rick Report 16 Jun 2004 18:25

Errr - not sure if you're doing my reputation more good or harm here Lynda lolol. Good choice for the window seat btw, the views of the apennines as you fly in are molto bene ! That's probably terrible Italian but who cares ? So that's just Sheila in the suitcase and no hand luggage eh ? Let's hope I don't get any more "requests". Rick ;-)

Ann L from Darlo

Ann L from Darlo Report 16 Jun 2004 18:42

OH Karen Can I come too Sorry can't help with your question We did a tour in May from Venice,Assisi,Sorrento,Capri,Rome and Florence and it was wonderful. Sure I can sneak into your case too. Hope you get fixed up and you will enjoy it. Boun Giorno

Karen

Karen Report 16 Jun 2004 20:25

Thanks everyone for replying, at the moment I'm undecided if to go, although I really really want to go (my Grandad was based around Naples for just over a year in WW2 and after reading his diary I want to go and see the places he described and loved) but I dont speak a word of Italian and will be going on my own, so I'm abit concerned about the getting from the airport to Sorrento. I've contacted Lollypop and also expedia but because of the dreaded single supplement they wanted to charge me for 1.5 people :-( I've had a look at www.book-a-hotel-in-sorrento(.)com and their prices arent too bad (I was thinking about Hotel Angelina as the location doesnt seem to bad, and for 7 nights its pretty cheap) but I'm getting cold feet. Karen

Devon Dweller

Devon Dweller Report 16 Jun 2004 20:32

Karen, All I can say is the people are wonderful. They do their best to make you feel welcome and if they know your reasons for going (ie WW2) they will probably treat you like a queen Sheila

Karen

Karen Report 16 Jun 2004 21:26

Thanks Lynda and Sheila for putting my mind at ease. I have just booked it!!!! I fly out on 2 July. I've found details of the trains that run from Naples right into Sorrento, so I can always get a taxi from the airport to the train station in the centre of Naples if the buses arent very regular. Know I've just got to learn Italian!! ek!

Devon Dweller

Devon Dweller Report 16 Jun 2004 21:32

Dont worry about that. I spent two years learning Italian and the moment you open your mouth they start talking back in English and when they talk to each other it's in Neopolitan not Italian anyway. Just go and enjoy yourself....I'm sure you'll want to go back again and again and again Sheila x

Karen

Karen Report 16 Jun 2004 21:36

I love the Italian language, I used to work with a bloke who was part Italian and I used to make him talk Italian to me all the time, and what ever he said sounded yummy, even if he was saying something horrible. Just need to find myself a yummy Italian bloke while I'm out there now :-)

Devon Dweller

Devon Dweller Report 16 Jun 2004 21:39

That'll take a whole 5 mins....lol

Karen

Karen Report 16 Jun 2004 21:45

:-) because I'm a redhead I'm used to being stared at when I go abroad, sometimes its nice, but other times you just want to mingle into the crowd. When I was in Turkey the other year I got about 5 marriage proposals from Turkish women who wanted me to marry their sons as they thought I looked like Ginger Spice!

Katwin

Katwin Report 17 Jun 2004 07:15

Karen, If you are getting the train from Naples its in a very run-down area, so be careful. However, you could even get the Jetfoil ferry from the Naples into Marina Piccolo di Sorrento. They run quite often and it takes 35 minutes - 15 Euros return fare. Try www.alilauro.it for an update. Naples itself is well worth a visit by ferry. We the best pizza ever at Brandis restaurant where the very first pizza was reputedly made! All the italians go there so it must be good. The ferry brings you out opposite the castle, presidential palace and opera house. The shopping centre at the top of the hill has the largest glass dome in Europe and the Museum is a must for relics from Pompei and Herculaneum. You will have a fabulous time. Wish I was going again!! Don't forget to get a bargain leather handbag from the Drains (old Sorrento) when you are there. Just love Italian style!! Let us know how you got on.... Kathy xx