General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

If you found a Lottery ticket

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Natalie

Natalie Report 16 Jun 2004 13:33

I was listening to radio 2 this afternoon and they were going on about a young lad and he found a lottery ticket and it was a winning ticket, then the owner of this ticket (the man who losted the ticket) is now asking for his money. What would you do?

Natalie

Natalie Report 16 Jun 2004 13:34

Personally i would split the money.

Len

Len Report 16 Jun 2004 13:52

Personally I'd be a little dubius if someone came up and said thats minein those circumstances, if there was any doubt about it I'd give it to a charity rather than argue over it. Len

PinkDiana

PinkDiana Report 16 Jun 2004 14:00

How do we know he was the genuine owner? If his name was on the back of the ticket then surely the lad couldn't cash it in..... I personally think I'd find it very difficult to hand it over as I hadn't stolen it and I couldn't be absolutely sure the person was telling the truth!! That's just me being honest!!

Natalie

Natalie Report 16 Jun 2004 14:18

Oh I looking areally bad here with sayign split the money lol. If they had their name and address on the back on the ticket of course I would give then the ticket back, if it doesn't have any name and address on the back it.

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Jun 2004 14:32

I'd keep it lol I've had no luck till now, why shouldn't I have some good fortune ? If the "owner" couldn't keep it safe that's their tough luck lol Seriously... if the true owner could prove ownership I guess the right thing to do would be to give it back, but I'd be very disappointed if they then did not give me half. Perhaps I'd consult a solicitor first. Never going to happen though is it

Natalie

Natalie Report 16 Jun 2004 16:03

at last a person that doesn't make me look bad, thanks Paul for having a smiliar line as me

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Jun 2004 16:05

I'm just being honest thats all a lottery ticket with no proof of ownership - that's mine. Of course, if I found a wallet or similar with a name on it I would of cousre return it...

Natalie

Natalie Report 16 Jun 2004 16:06

same here Paul.

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Jun 2004 16:16

If the owner could prove that it was genuinely theirs, I'd definitely hand it over (you never know, they might be so grateful they'd share it anyway!); if there was no rightful owner I'd still have to give it to charity because I couldn't keep anything that wasn't rightfully mine. Oh dear, that sounds a bit 'holier than thou' but I'd have a really guilty conscience!!!

Bob

Bob Report 16 Jun 2004 17:38

Way back in 1965 I found £30 (6 £5 notes between the pages)in a library book (worth about £350 today). By the stamps in the front the book hadn't been borrowed for over a year. I know what I did but before I say, I would be interested to have other opinions.

Penny

Penny Report 16 Jun 2004 17:43

A lost purse wallet etc straight back to the owner/police have always handed these in if I find e.g left in a supermarket trolley I have taken to customer services desk. A fiver floating in the carpark noone around well I wouldnt hand that in (and havnt in practice ) and a lottery ticket I would consider as finders keppers too! Chance luck fate and all that I suppose. Penny

Natalie

Natalie Report 16 Jun 2004 22:47

I don't look so mad not thanks everyone